rubber floor tiles on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m planning to lay rubber floor tiles on floorboards but guess there should be something to level the surface in between. What would be best to use in a (small) bathroom? Screed? Hardboard? Ideally I\\\'d like to make this floor waterproof, so it doesn\\\'t leak downstairs even if there\\\'s a spill. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
I'm told we have to lay 6ml marine ply and cut round the loo. If this is the case then there's plenty of room to raise the floor level by that much and more.
However someone else said it was possible to undo the bolts on the loo and that way make no cuts to the flooring, which would be much better.
The latest authority tells me it's not worth the risk.
I don't know who's likely to be right. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I work for a rubber flooring company and our guidelines would be as follows;

The best way to install over floorboards is to install 6mm plywood with ring shank nails to prevent movement. It is much easier to remove toilet and sink pedestals and then adhere the rubber flooring to the plywood and then screw the pedestal back down through the flooring into the subfloor. The join between the pedestal and flooring can then be sealed with a thin bead of silicone sealant.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back