Tiling over concrete floor adjoining sloping floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to lay ceramic tiles in a kitchen and I need some advice. I've read the stickys however i'm still unsure of a few things.

I want to lay ceramic tiles on a floor having wooden floorboards (6 sq m) that adjoins an extension having a concrete floor (5 sq m). The floorboards have a (not insignificant) slope (at least 20mm top-bottom) away from the concrete-wood join. Also, at the join, the floorboards are raised above the concrete by approx. 5mm. The concrete is level throughout.

Should I:

Screed the whole concrete floor to the level of the top of the floorboards then ply the floorboards first then prime + screed to the level of the top of the floorboards?

My questions/concerns are:

Using levelling compound with the floorboards' large slope could be expensive. Is there an alternative method of filling to the highest level?

Is filling to the top level of the floorboards the best approach? What are the alternatives, if any?

Would a plywood thickness of 6mm be sufficient for covering the floorboards?

I would be grateful for any advice anyone is able to give.

Sponsored Links
mike i see its your first post and welcome. I can tell you how to do what you want to do but it will probably take me half hour to type up all the instructions. As its your first post i dont want to be wasting my time doing that if you never return to the forum. So if your still waiting and watching the forum for your answer, give me a shout and i will put the info you need on here.

Matty,

Thanks for the quick response. I have an easier setup to work with now. I have ripped up the floorboards - which were a relatively recent addition by the last owners (to make up the floor to the level of the concrete extension). Underneath I have found the original red-tile floor (the house was built in 1925). My plan now is to tile the concrete and red-tile area separately (with a step in between) and I no longer have the sloping wooden floorboards to contend with. I believe all that is required now is for me to prime the concrete/tiles, apply levelling compund then lay.

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back