Rules for kitchen/bedroom/bathroom location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rules for kitchens adjacent to bathrooms and bedrooms?

Specifically, how many doors do there have to be between the kitchen and the bathroom or bedroom, and is there anything else to consider?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Unless this is a flat or other multi-storey property to which the fire precautions apply, then there are no 'rules' for doors.

Actually, this is a first floor flat of a converted victorian terrace, converted about 6 years ago. Would that change things?

There used to be a rule (in London at least) that you had to have a ventilated lobby between WC and kitchen.

Probably if you phone your local Building Control Office they will know what applies in your area.

Sponsored Links
I was talking about this to my architect a while back. What he said was that to comply with the hygiene part of the building regs. a door must be fitted between a toilet and any area used for preparing food.

I thought that the requirement for two doors was an old regulation, but with ventilation in Bathrooms it was now OK?

I'll talk to BC about this when they are back off their two weeks leave!!

I have just referenced Part G of the Building Regs, and it says that :

A space containing a closet or urinal should be separated by a door from a space used for the preparation of food.

So it seems like one door is sufficient?

The current set up is Kitchen >> open door to {small 1.7m} passage >> off which you can :

open door to bathroom &
open other door to bedroom.

I want to get rid of the first door from the kitchen to the hall, THUS :

having an open plan passage [without door from kitchen], off which you can either enter the bathroom through a door, OR enter the bedroom through the other door.

My original thoughts were about hygiene and fire. e.g. bedroom only being separated from kitchen by one door?

ADDED [and escape route would be through kitchen or window]

inod said:
I thought that the requirement for two doors was an old regulation,
It used to be, as long as you have a hand basin in the toilet area then 1 door is acceptable but do check with your BCO!

masona said:
inod said:
I thought that the requirement for two doors was an old regulation,
It used to be, as long as you have a hand basin in the toilet area then 1 door is acceptable but do check with your BCO!

The hand basin can be either in the WC or the room immediately outside the WC - which could be the kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back