Running a DAB aerial connection to a tv socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running a new coax for a tv socket from the loft down to the socket in the living room. I'd also like to get a dual socket with a DAB connection, but presume to do this I'll need to purchase a specific DAB aerial and then run a 2nd coax to the socket. Is this correct or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No there is another way.
FM, DAB, UHF(TV) and SAT all use different frequencies so can all be combined and separated using a single coax.

Only SKY HD needs two coax feeds as both feeds from the LNB to Sky box are the same frequency.

There are allsorts of splitters / combiners from simple plug in types to some built into the face plate and giving 5 coax plus telephone in one double face plate and same at origin with simple combiners to those with active pre-amps included even with supplies to different rooms with remote control access as well.

Biggest problem is some have isolation included which will stop supply to mast head pre-amps or LNB’s others don’t.

If I get time latter I'll see if I can find links to sites selling them

You'll need something from this page:

http://grax.co.uk/P/Sky-Compatible-Indoor-AmplifiersDistribution(S19).aspx

The exact product you'll need depends on current and future plans but if you're planning on eventually supplying signals to the entire house then this:

http://grax.co.uk/P/TRIAX-621-Domestic-Distribution-Unit(945).aspx

is the dogs danglies.

Whichever system you chhose will require some additional accessories though. You'll need Diplexing or Triplexing wall plates to decombine the signals at the outlet.

For maximum flexibility, the Triax DDU should be installed in a central location. Then run 4 cables from the location where a satellite dish would be fitted to the DDU. Run 1 cable from the TV aerial, 1 from the DAB aerial and 1 cable from the FM aerial, all to the DDU. If you have CCTV with an RF modulator you can also run a cable from thi to the DDU.

You now run 4 cables from the DDU to the main TV location and 3 cables from every other TV location to the DDU. Note that not all of these cables are likely to be used but they allow for future options.

You will now be able to have Terrestrial TV, FM, DAB and CCTV at every TV point. Also, if you have Sky at your main TV point you can send the picture round the house via RF. You have the option of Sky, Sky+ or Sky+ HD at the main location with additional standard Sky subscriptions in up to 2 other locations OR an additional Sky+ or Sky+HD subscription at 1 additional location. Any more than this and you'd need to run additional cables from the satellite dish directly to the additional TV locations. Note, Sky subscriptions wouldn't actually be required. Freesat is also available.

Of course, your other option would be to use CAT5 distribution but this is considerably more costly and complex although it would allow you, for example, to fit a HD receiver under the stairs and pipe the HD signal to TV's around the house thus meaning you simply have a TV floating on the wall with no boxes nearby.

Like I say though, costly and complex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back