Running a Hot water and Central Heating with no Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worcester-Bosch heatslave 20/25 oil fired boiler.

I am removing all the radiators form the house as they will be replaced with UFH for all rooms and the oil boiler will eventually go too.

Currently I have 3 radiators still connected to the boiler (Which is on it's last legs but I have a lot of oil still) so want to remove the rest of the radiators but still be able to use for hot water for the moment - till it runs out of oil.

Can I just remove the plumbing that goes out to the radiators and plumb it straight back into itself - just 50cm of pipework?

If the pressure on the radiators is too low I know the boiler won't fire so need the pipework connected but just want to make sure the boiler doesn't need a radiator heat-sink in case overheating for safety?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi I think you'll need to put a longer ppe in but a shorter run won't hurt
I've got just 4 rads on a 18/25 and it works fine but why don't you just switch of the heating on the boiler with the switch on the boiler then you'll
Just get water

Piped as you say will not be problem, especially if you do not program the CH circuit. If the boiler does overheat, it will trip the limit stat. Should it happen too often, then turning down the HW temperature should cure it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys,

I didn't get a notice to say anyone had replied to this (Need to check my settings :)

I have since re-read the install manual found online and if you just loop the CH circuit back on itself it is fine and won't overheat as long as the CH controls are turned off.

The heat overrun when using taps will go into the CH heat-store to avoid overheating, as this will be cold if disabled (this usually goes to the radiators if the CH circuit is enabled).

I am removing all the radiators in the house and removing walls and floors in prep for UFH and alternative water heating. I still need hot water to the taps but have half a tank of oil so will carry on using the boiler until that runs out.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back