Running a new mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am in the process of running a new length of mains cable from the meter to my house, about 20m. I have a length of 25mm 2 core SWA cable which i was planning to use.
I would like to know if it is acceptable to use the armouring as the earth or should i run a separate cable.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
so long as it has the correct glands, and is terminated in a metal box at both ends, the arouring is accepatable as the earth, but you should also make sure that each box has a suitable earth connection and that it is used.

also to be totaly sure, and earth clamp on the armouring would not go a miss.

one thing you dont really mean that you are taking the feed from your incoming meter do you? as that would be aginst your suppliers regulations

Thanks for the reply. I have external glands with earthing tags and enclosures for the connections at each end.

I was not aware that it would be a problem running a replacement cable from the meter (my side) to the house. Are there regulations regarding the length and size of cable from the meter to the consumer unit ?.

The supply box and meter were installed before the conversion and it will be expensive to get SWEB to move the supply point. The existing (temporary) cable has been there 15 years and needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
even though it is your side of the meter you can not open the connection box as it too should be sealed.

best ask your supplier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back