Running basin and bath waste into unused stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The current waste stack on my house won't be needed much longer. I'm having a side extension that has a new open vented stack on the gable wall. The toilet waste will be re-routed to the new gable wall and into the new stack. My basin and bath waste currently run into the same existing stack.

I need to re route my basin and bath waste as they will be inside a new bedroom and they currently run into a stack that is to be removed.

Is it allowable to cap off the existing soil stack near to the floor and run the basin and bath waste into it? Pictures will help explain what I mean....

20220123_141512.jpg

This is the current (temporary) set up. The main pipe is cast iron the toilet and both wastes run into it. The toilet waste is being routed as shown below....

20220123_141407.jpg

It will be run between the 1st floor joists to the gable end and into a new stack.

Could I cut the cast iron pipe near the floor and replace it with a short length of plastic pipe and fit one of these....

Screenshot_20220123-140633_Brave.jpg

Originally, there was a second stack next to this cast iron one that was asbestos and had a hopper on top of it through the garage roof. The wastes ran into this hopper. The asbestos pipe ran into the same underground pipe as the cast iron pipe, but I assume they were separated by some kind of trap to keep the sewer smells out of the garage....

20220123_141312.jpg

Is something like this acceptable...... or does the pipe have to be capped off completely if its not got any air admittance?

20220123_141630.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My other idea would be to fit an air admittance valve on top of this pipe (cut down to a height below new garage ceiling and then come into the stack with strap on bosses. I know AAV have to be higher than the basin, but would that still apply if the stack is fully visible? Ie NOT boxed in and in a garage.

So.....I could replace that cast-iron pipe with plastic and connect both wastes into it and fit an AAV at least 200 mm above the highest one?

I always assumed aav had to go above the highest point on the run, in this case the basin over flow..... ill be happy if I'm wrong

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back