Running boiler pipes through chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're looking at running boiler pipes through a chimney, the chimney has a flexible liner from a wood burner in it. There's plenty of room between the liner and the external wall. Is there a way to protect the pipes from heat given off by the liner?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
its new to the market just for you!!!!!

diamond plated copper or iron, plus its wrapped in a new miracle insulator
called asbestos!!!!!!!!

try it and let us know how you get on!!

Thanks for your .... helpful?..... response, I'm sure your valuable contribution made you smile. Let's hope you have a life outside this forum, although I suspect..... maybe not?!! Before you reply, do me, and I hope, those who actually have a valuable input, a favour. Don't.

Thanks for your .... helpful?..... response, I'm sure your valuable contribution made you smile. Let's hope you have a life outside this forum, although I suspect..... maybe not?!! Before you reply, do me, and I hope, those who actually have a valuable input, a favour. Don't.
I need to know a few things before I can give you any advice.
1 How much room is there between the wood burning stove, flexiliner and the chimney.
2 Are you looking to heat water from the multifuel source or is it a complimentary system.
Check out http://www.whichwoodstoves.co.uk good site 4 info and not a sales site

Sponsored Links
Hi, we're looking at running boiler pipes through a chimney, the chimney has a flexible liner from a wood burner in it. There's plenty of room between the liner and the external wall. Is there a way to protect the pipes from heat given off by the liner?

I can't see that it's in any way a good idea to run water pipes through the same duct as a solid fuel flue.

The heat in the flue would be enough to melt solder!

I wonder if there's any 'official' guidance - other than 'don't' :)

The burner is an Esse woodburning stove set in an inglenook. It's got a 6 inch flue into plate above. There's about 8 inches between the flue and the oak beam and about 10 inches between the flue and the rear chimney wall. (and a couple of feet to each side). So, the liner would be about 6-8 inches from the pipes at its nearest point. The Esse is used for domestic heating and hot water.
I was thinking of blanking the pipes off using fireboard, based on the idea that if the flue passed through a floor, you'd have to leave 3 times the diameter of the flue or 1 and a half if fireboard used. Does that make any sense?

sleeve the pipe with the next size up eg. 15mm in 22mm sleeve eg 22 in 28 sleeve both fit perfect . in one length from one side of chimney to other , no joints . no problem .cheers.

I read it that the OP wanted to run the pipes inside the chimney, parallel to the flue from downstairs to up. It's not something I have a great deal of experience in, though.

Thanks for your .... helpful?..... response, I'm sure your valuable contribution made you smile

it gave me a small chuckle....

and as for the probably don`t have a life outside this forum
been busy working tonight,like i do most nights,making loads of lovely cash,fitting..............................................................................

pipes inside chimney`s :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

" can you take your ring`s off, it hurts"

"thats not my rings,thats ma watch"

try the veal, i`m here all week :evil: :evil: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back