Running cable between floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I would like to run an Ethernet cable upstairs, in the loft and from there into a couple of rooms. My problem is I am not sure how to run the cable between floors. My house is a timber house. I can indeed find the void between studs and run the cable behind the plasterwalls till the first floor... then what? I was thinking of removing a piece of plasterwall in my bedroom upstairs and hopefully from there I may be able to drill a hole and run the cable to the ground floor.
But to be honest I am not sure how the structure is done so before I open a big hole in my wall I thought I should ask someone more expert than me!

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
You would run it like any cable.

But keep it away from mains voltage cables.

If there is a built-in, floor-to-ceiling cupboard or wardrobe anywhere upstairs, run the cable inside that, then you do not have to damage any decoration.

Stud walls are normally built with piece of timber horizontally at the top against the ceiling and horizontal studs or noggins at intervals top to bottom, with another horizontal timber at the bottom against the floor.

Hi, thanks!
I am not used to running cables in timber frame homes to be honest. Yes, there is a wardrobe upstairs but it's in the middle of the floor plan and I would end up with my cable in the middle of the ceiling downstairs.
If there are horizontal noggins at intervals, that is a problem then. I thought it only had vertical studs. A partition wall where I ran some mains cable was empty but you are suggesting that external walls - before the external insulation wall - may have horizontal noggins.
Another plan would be to run the cable outside but I don't like the idea to be honest.

How about scrapping the cable idea and run the ethernet via the mains line using simple plug-in modules Google "ethernet via the mains" There's plenty of models with amazingly high speeds.

Sponsored Links
eheh :)

I do have one by Netgear 1200Mbit/s. I can barely reach 50Mbit, speed is very variable and it introduces a very loud noise in my powered speakers. No, I definitely need to run a proper Cat 7 Ethernet cable. I will then install a Gigabit switch in the loft and run cables down where I need them.

Last edited:
Fair enough - was just suggesting an alternative - no need to bite my head off.
Just out of interest my ethernet-over-the-mains seems to work OK; but I guess it must be "faulty" :ROFLMAO: or maybe I paid enough to avoid the quality test

Just out of interest my ethernet-over-the-mains seems to work OK; but I guess it must be "faulty" :ROFLMAO: or maybe I paid enough to avoid the quality test
It does usually work fairly well, albeit (as has been said) rarely with the claimed speed. That is not the problem - the problem is all the electromagnetic interference it causes, within your home and beyond.

Kind Regards, John

I would end up with my cable in the middle of the ceiling downstairs.

No! You would drop the cable into the void between the two floors then run it this way and that until you get over the area where you want to drop it down to the ground floor.

I'm going to ask a stupid question here: once I have the cable in the void, how do I run it to the wall I need?

Need to see plans of the house to even hazard a guess, but one handy place for a cable run between floors is alongside the soil pipe that usually runs from the upstairs bathroom/WC to the ground floor.
Often it goes right up into the loft and through the roof too!

Have a look for a riser area. Although you need to be 50mm away from 230v stuff that rules is void if you have a barrier (like containing the data cable in mini trunking or ega tube).

The riser area might be different for water, waste and 230v feeds- the common pint is that trades have managed to feed cables and pipes up floors and by looking at what the did, your get an idea on possible routes for your cable.

Thanks for your inputs, I appreciate that. I have two soil pipes here but they end up in the wrong end of the house.
Say I run the cable down the pipes or any other risers. Once I reach the ground floor ceiling, I will have to open it to use the draper, am I correct? And the draper will run the cable till the wall, then it'll hit the wall or a stud and I'll have to open it again. Am I mistaken? That's why I thought that opening an inspection panel at first floor and make a hole to run the cable down the wall towards the ground floor was a good idea. But I did not consider the horizontal noggings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back