Running Cable in Cavity Walls...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running some cable in a cavity wall, but am not sure how to run it. I can't run it near the floor as there are units in the way. Should i run SWA (twin and earth 1.5mm2) or should i run standard 1.5mm2 in steel conduit.

I am just worried about someone in the future drilling through it. I would always run straight down and across anyway, but you never know who will be working on it in the future...

Sponsored Links
I can't run it near the floor as there are units in the way.

? can you offer a better description of what your doing and where? for what purpose? what room?

Should i run SWA (twin and earth 1.5mm2)

these arent the same, steel wire armoured (swa) doesnt sound much good for indoor house wiring to me? what are you doing?

twin and earth is the 'flat' cable used in most houses with the uninsulated copper earth.

I would always run straight down and across anyway,

are you familiar with cable zones? look them up if not, am not sure by what you've put that your fully aware. not aloud to go up/across just anywhere.

you never know who will be working on it in the future...

good man, forward thinking, its good you've thought about this (theres a lot wouldnt have!) :LOL:

throw us some more details and someone on here will have the answer.

kable in kavities is not the best way of doing things, and is frowned upon.

As I understand it, cable in cavities contravenes Building Regs part C and is no longer permitted. A bit of a surprise to me having been running cavities for some years. Sorry, but you'll have to find another way.

Sponsored Links
Does the OP mean cavity wall as in twin-leaved brick wall, or does he mean a stud wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back