Running Cables in Dry Lined Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bit of clarification needed if poss..

I need to install an additional socket in my lounge. Ideally, I would come down the wall from above with a junction box connection off the existing downstairs ring main (downstairs floor is concrete so access to the ring is in the ceiling space).

However, with chipboard floorboards, recently laid carpet upstairs and ever decreasing timescales, I am looking to run a spur from an existing socket in the lounge.

The issue is that the socket I want to run from is one side of a set of double doors that lead from the lounge to the dining room so I am looking to run up from the existing socket, across the top of the double doors and down to the new socket location.

The walls downstairs are dry lined onto breeze block so the plan is to cut out a channel in the plaster board, insert the cable and fill the channel with some bonding plaster. The entire room is being reskimmed during the decoration so not worried about the look of the walls before the skimming.

My concern was about the cable needing to be protected so I did a bit of digging around and found this

from which it seems to me that as long as the runs up and down are straightline vertical and the run across is within 15cm from the ceiling, the cable does not need ot be protected.

I also believe that there is no problem re thickness of the walls because of the breeze block - in this case, am I right in thinking I can leave the cable unprotected?

I notice that there is a mention to c5-45 for damage during construction but am having trouble tracking down that pdf file - does anybody know if I need to be too concerned about that given that we are just talking about a glue and reskim of the walls after the cable has been put in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back