Running costs for ch boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to calculate how many cubic metres of gas/hour my 98k btu/hr max 40.6k btu/hr min boiler should use approx. The reason I ask is that after Brit Gas have installed a new meter our daily avge usage has doubled from 3.5 to 8 cubic metres/day & we are not using anything longer than we did before. I am trying to decide whether I am now paying too much or was not paying enough before. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Look at the installation docs - they will tell you what the gas rate is.

Previous meter was probably imperial this one metric .Devide reading by 2.83 to equate with previous usage.

If your boiler is running at full power and is 30 kW then it costs about £1.15 per hour to run for hot water for example.

Heating about 50p/hour.

Tony

PS I made a few assumptions which may be a little out in any particular case. I assumed it was 30 kW input power which is typical for a 30 kW boiler delivering hot water with an actual output power of 27 kW average.

Also a gas price on 3.8 p/kW with a seperate standing charge. Depending on your actual tarriff it may be a lot more perhaps up to 8p if you have a card meter!

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
Look at the installation docs - they will tell you what the gas rate is.
Spot on, never thought of that, unfortunately it looks as though the new meter is working correctly. Thanks very much. Also thanks Agile that will make it easier to check the bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back