running mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put some power sockets in our new conservatory. I am planning to spur it off a socket in the living room (drill through the wall). In the conservatory I want to nail the cable to the concrete floor before the final floor screed goes down. Is this OK, or does the cable have to run in the Wall.
Thanks Victor

Sponsored Links
Only if its in earthed metal conduit, which its doubtful you will have the tools to work with.

I want to put some power sockets in our new conservatory. I am planning to spur it off a socket in the living room (drill through the wall).

You do realise that this is going to have to be a fused spur, right?

Yep, I realise after reading some of the post on the forum I have to fuse the spur.

I guess I have to do a lot of chiseling in the wall then. The problem is how do I cross the doors? The only way is on the floor.

Thanks Victor

You can go vertically from the socket and run the cable horizontally along the top of the wall as long as it is no more than 150mm from the ceiling and then back down to a socket.

Sponsored Links
Or bury in the floor as originally suggested, in plastic conduit if you can make it more than 2" below final surface, where its not directly beneath where it surfaces for a fitting.
Or use armourcald cable with an earthed armour.
Or equivalent mechanical protection, but this has to be very good to convince the sceptics.
Or surface wiring anywhere, as any damage will be seen, but unlikely to pass the domestic authority test!
hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back