Running new sockets from a former shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am workihg on an ex-bathroom (no water supply to it anymore, it's going to be an office) The original shower power supply cable runs up straight from the consumer unit on its own rcd. I intend to use this cable to connect via a suitable junction box connector to some 2.5 twin & earth to supply 2 new double sockets. Does this sound OK?

Sponsored Links
More than likely the shower will be on 40-50amp breaker, this isnt suitable for 2.5mm cable. You'll need to downgrade the breaker to say 20amps to protect the 2.5mm cable.

Hi, Experience, does that mean that by replacing the breaker to 20 amps, I won't need to have any other type of protection at the point of cable downsizing?

Sponsored Links
To be honest mixing cable sizes really isnt good practice, i wouldnt recommend it!
Ideally you should run a new 2.5mm cable from the consumer unit to the new room and run your sockets from that.
The length & size of cable determines what size breaker you need - whats the approx length of cable from the board and what load do you plan to connect to the sockets?

Hi, I was trying to avoid running a new cable so as not to have to replaster etc. (I know for a fact that the existing cables are all plastered in, so no chance of pulling a new cable up thorough a conduit)The consumer unit is directly below the room, about 6' below to be exact. The load on the two double sockets would be the usual office stuff, a PC, printer, table lamp, broadband router.....

Put it on a 16amp breaker, thats more than adequate to run standard office equipment whilst also protecting the cable.

Will the breaker be protected by an RCD? To comply with the regs your new circuit will have to be RCD protected. In your consumer unit you should be able to see a sign listing the RCD protected circuits, will the breaker be installed in this section?

Hi, yes, thats great news. The consumer unit is only about two years old so yes, it will be protected by the RCD in the unit.
Thanks VERY VERY much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back