Running SWA along an external wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a quick one.
What is the best way to run SWA around the outside corner of an external wall. I don't want to strain the cable by bending it too tight? It will be just clipped directly to the wall.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you feel up to it and don't mind a bit of effort you could take out the corner brick and fit a gently curving 'Bullnose' brick to bend the cable round.
What size cable is it and how high up is it?
However you do it you should protect it from chafing against the brickwork or moisture could get into the sheathing and eventually corrode the swa strands.

Either cut away some masonry from the corner so the bend is not as severe, or change the height of the cable at the corner - move the cable up or down 12 inches as it goes round the corner, in a S shape. (Try this with a hosepipe first to see how it works)

It's 2.5 mm 3 core, and it will be about 8 inches from the deck.
I'll have a go at channelling the corner out first then if i'm still unhappy i'll do the 'S' bend thing.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just to say thanks. I channelled the wall out at one corner and did the 'S' bend on the other. Was a bit sceptical but it looked great. Although they said they'd paint it anyway to blend it in with the wall!!!!
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back