rusting on solid bathroom wall? how is that possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have been having this weird rust type staining developing on my shower wall (constantly exposed to water when showering). The wall appears to be solid brick wall (not metal), so how can rust develop on a brick wall? (see attached).

Any help on how to fix this would be very appreciated. Would just painting with mould type resistant paint on it work?

Thanks a lot

K

Sponsored Links
You have a metal skim bead on the corner, It keeps the shape of the edge.

Krust metal treatment, and some metal place.

or, cut out the skim bead and replace with some new stuff.

A

The wall has galvanised steel plasterers beading under the surface to help give a strong edge to the plaster. If you keep it wet it will rust.

Having a wet wall is generally bad practice anyway, since the plaster will fall off, you will also get rot, mould and mildew.

When you are dealing with these problems, and the plaster and tiles have fallen off, you can use stainless beading during your rebuild.

For a start you could fit an effective extractor fan, and use it. You could also tile over those parts of the wall that get wet.

Edit: too slow

To Adrian

Thanks mate. What do you mean by metal place?

What should I do after applying kurust?

Sponsored Links
well, he could - sort of ;) in fact he could get some plastic cladding/ facia with a L shape and a 20mm return - then line the window reveals with that each side - covering the dodgy bead and up against the mosaic tiles :idea: Shepherds in Eastbourne do loads of uPVC mouldings - Lottbridge Drove

I'd take the rusting bead off, replace it, then replaster/tile the areas that are continualy wet.
I think plastic cladding around window reveals cheapens the look of a job. I go into many houses where the double glazing installers have fitted new windows/doors, and then they stick this crap all around the reveals,,, not to enhance the look of the job, but to cover up/camouflage any gaps, holes or damaged plaster underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back