Rusty particles in hot water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been getting rusty particles when hot water tap is turned on in all the taps for some time and then clear water starts coming out, its a Worcester Greenstar combi boiler 5 years old, and the fault code is showing as D4. Any suggestions on what to do please? the boiler has not been serviced for 1.5 years since the time I bought the house and I am looking to get it serviced now but not sure if a service will help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The house is 1930’ built but the whole house been refurbished in 2019

Sponsored Links
Or, more likely, in the underground wster supply pipe into the house and under the road?

Have you done any plumbing recently?

Is there any rust in the WC cistern?

What size are the particles?

I don't think the rusty particles in your domestic hot water will have anything to do with the boiler, because the boiler water circuit is completely separate from the domestic hot water circuit.
The rusty particles will either be coming from the cold water main supply (but then you'd get the particles coming out of both HW and CW taps), or there are some steel components in your domestic hot water system. What is the material of your HW storage tank (if you have one)?

Has any recent work been carried out?

If so, could be that a pipe was cut to length and has exposed the steel inner at the end.

Has any recent work been carried out?

If so, could be that a pipe was cut to length and has exposed the steel inner at the end.
No work done recently.. I don’t think any work was done after the refurbishment in 2019 … the boiler was fit by British Gas and they had warranty for 5 years which just got expired Last month

Or, more likely, in the underground wster supply pipe into the house and under the road?

Have you done any plumbing recently?

Is there any rust in the WC cistern?

What size are the particles?
Neighbours water is clean.. The water (SES) came today and took samples to the lab… but that was cold water sample which clean anyways.. no rust in the WC cistern… the particles are about .5 to 1mm

Are all the taps the same brand?
Auntie had this on one sink and it was something inside the tap that had started to rust - I think it was a nut
Dug up the road and replaced the mains water pipe before we found it

Brian

Kitchen has Quooker taps and the bathroom taps I’m not too sure about the make but they look about 5-6 years old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back