Sadolin advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to paint a wooden garage door with Sadolin Classic Light Oak, and then a couple more layers of Sadolin Extra.

I can't quite decide if the colour might get too dark with 3 layers of "light oak", and am therefore considering going for the Sadolin Extra "clear" option for the second two coats. But I have no clue whether that's a good idea or not.

Does anyone have any experience they can share?? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The cut and grain of the timber will determine the final colour depth, you should try a test area first.

Dec

i have had a few problems with sadolin water based teak stain with regards to crazing and sissing on application of a second coat. any ideas what could be coursing this?

Crazing or separation of a paint system (cissing) would normaly occur if the second application was applied either to late or to early, or that some form of contamination was present, or indeed a combination of the two.

Dec

Sponsored Links
the problem i found was when i was coating up at the end of the day then going back the next day to second coat. i was using the same tin and nobody had touched the stain in between. the first coat went on and dried perfectly but the second didn't seem to want to adhere. i sanded with a 420 grade wet and dry between the coats and went over with a tac rag before second coat. haven't used this product again.

Most water based stain/varnish and paint systems are I think still in their early stage of development, they are though what I believe to be the future within the trade. As Painters & Decorators we have to learn, understand, and practice with these systems.

Dec

i agree and also believe that water based is the future. i was just not happy with this individual water based product. i do however rate johnstones water based stains and use these products quite a bit. i'm just waiting for the glosses to have the same sheen as oil based as environmentally water based are far superior.

i agree and also believe that water based is the future. i was just not happy with this individual water based product. i do however rate johnstones water based stains and use these products quite a bit. i'm just waiting for the glosses to have the same sheen as oil based as environmentally water based are far superior.

And you would be correct, Johnstones/Leyland are now breaking through with regard to the development of these systems.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back