Safe for drinking water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new sink and monobloc tap in my kitchen. The supplied braided connectors that came with the tap were not quite long enough to reach the hot and cold water pipes so I extended them using a couple of "Wickes" compression flexible tap connectors. This all works fine, but I've since noticed that some similar types of connector are marked as not safe for drinking water. The Wickes connectors do not state their suitability either way. Am I safe in assuming that in the absense of any contra indication that the connectors I have used are suitable for drinking water.

Sponsored Links
If it says tap connectors on it then as Dan says it will be WRAS approved, ie potable water, i.e safe.

Sponsored Links
If it says tap connectors on it .....it will be WRAS approved
Wrong. If it has a black or red ribbon in the braiding it will be WRAS approved.....and will cost more. It may well have WRAS stamped on the connections as well. They are the only differences between WRAS and non-WRAS flexis.

Note; most braided flexis have EPDM hose. Because of the risk of Legionella, hoses fitted in schools, hospitals and many other public buildings are beingt specced as having to have PEX hose.

Don't worry overmuch, you are far more likely to be run over on the road.

If it says tap connectors on it .....it will be WRAS approved
Wrong. If it has a black or red ribbon in the braiding it will be WRAS approved.....and will cost more. It may well have WRAS stamped on the connections as well. They are the only differences between WRAS and non-WRAS flexis.

Note; most braided flexis have EPDM hose. Because of the risk of Legionella, hoses fitted in schools, hospitals and many other public buildings are beingt specced as having to have PEX hose.

Ah right, cheers mate so only if it says WRAS on it it is, i suppose the lesson here then is dont asseme, if its not marked up.

I check on wickes website and it doesny confirm the tap connectors are or arent suitable either way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back