Safe Ladder use for Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way, and of course the safest way of using my extension ladder to access my gutters for cleaning. I have used a stand off bracket for the top of the ladder, but its not much good for the guttering above the windows. obviousley i could lean the ladder against the gutter itself but its way too unstable......Im Ok with the height, but it needs to be a good stable ladder to work on......is there anything on the market for this kid of job etc etc
Hopefully we will be having the rotting facias and sofits done soon, but the gutters are badly in need of cleaning as they are full of moss.

Sponsored Links
To be honest that upstairs window isn't too high. If you put your stand off under the cill you'll still be able to reach into the gutter with one hand whilst your other hand is holding onto the transom of the window.

I know it's not ideal but you're only gonna be up there for a matter of minutes cleaning the gutter.

I had thought of that to be honest , but i did want to try and get up to eye level with the gutter, so I could see what i was doing, I was just wondering what you experienced chaps would do, say if you were repairing/renewing the gutters.....

Sponsored Links
if you have a standoff place it on the fascia under the gutter, not on the gutter, the fascias will be ok and you can get high enough to get in the gutters

Thanks for the advice guys.....may give it a go tomorrow, weather permitting.

if youre not confident on ladders get someone to foot them and dont lean, just keep moving the ladders

Thanks again for the advice, I use a ladder stopper and get someone to foot the ladder too.

;)

I had thought of that to be honest , but i did want to try and get up to eye level with the gutter, so I could see what i was doing, I was just wondering what you experienced chaps would do, say if you were repairing/renewing the gutters.....
Well I would get out my special wheeled window span thing for my ladder - No I`m not joking - I got an extendable device with wheels that run up the side of windows so you can put the ladder in front of the glass . Another of my auction finds - but I`ve had no use for it yet :cry:

I wrap my stand-off with pipe lagging, and rest it against the pvc window frame or indeed the glass. But I'm not a fat bstard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back