Safety Eyewear - Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With a multitude of safety glasses to choose from I have absolutely no idea where to start or what I should be looking for (if you'll excuse the pun).

I'm simply after some basic eye protection when performing activities like circular sawing, garden shredding, chopping wood, etc.

I'm not going to be doing anything heavy duty like welding or handling chemicals.

My preference is glasses/spectacles rather than strap on goggles.

Can anyone recommend any reputable brands or general advice when choosing please.

Thanks,

Jim.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

Yes having loads of choice is part of my problem. I'll take a look at the Dewalt ones. Are there any other brands that are particularly good or any I should steer clear of?

They'll generally all be fine as they have to meet the BS standards etc. Personally I'd visit a safety gear shop and just choose a pair that are comfortable.

Sponsored Links
Went with quite an inexpensive pair of dewalt. Best advise is don't buy over the Internet. Go instore and buy the pair that's most comfortable.

take a look at the screwfix site,theres loads to choose from,
i use a pair of dewalt,even in the car.
convertible :?:

:LOL: i wish :rolleyes:
but over the years i have spent a fortune on some very expensive sunglasses and they all suffer from light coming in through the sides etc,with these new dewalt type eye wear it seems to eliminate this problem because they wrap round a lot better.

got a pair of dewalt mirrored glasses of e-bay a few years ago.. came to about £6 with postage..
3 days after recieving them I got another package fom the seller... another pair....
seems he'd forgotten that he'd shipped me a pair already and sent them out again..
I did the honest thing and contacted him but he said to just keep them as it would cost him too much to get them back ( I wasn't going to pay for shipping them back to him.. )..
I did offer to pay for them as good will but he said not to bother as it was his error...

im generally on a site these days where eye wear is compulsory for walking around and if not then they are expected for general drilling.
our firm supply Sperian Millennia, clear lens,hardcoat approx. £6 when in a box of 12 or anything by Uvex if they are not available. very comfortable when on all day and no headaches.
if i need glasses i look out for firms that make them and no disrespect to the other posters but people like dewalt make electrical tools and if i needed a drill i would,nt go to uvex if they started putting their name on a drill

no i think they are probably made by uvex or another manufacturer and de walt have their name put on it and the price is adjusted accordingly.if you put the two pairs of specs ive mentioned side by side with a de walt pair, then all three pairs would probably have the same B.S. numbers onthem and it would be a matter of choice. i think we are lucky at our firm because some firms, usually the groundworkers have to suffer the cheapest **** going in safety eyewear

Decide how much you want to pay for a pair,
Try on a range within your price bracket,
Decide which is the most comfortable to wear for long periods.

Buy that pair and you have the glasses you need. It's that easy.

Actually trying the pair on before you buy is the best advice I can give because obviously everyone differs and a pair of glasses that sits nicely and is comfortable for 1 person may not be for another.

The pair of Dewalt I purchased was under £6. I ended up setting a ceiling price of £10 (you can end up paying a lot more if you want) because I felt using them in a DIY setting means they're going to get scratched and damaged at some point so they need to be inexpensive enough for you to regard them as disposable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back