Safety Question concerning Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm new on here so please bear with me.

I work for a network engineering company and we have to install non-penetrative mounts on flat roofs to then install antennas on the pole in the mount. In order to weigh them down we use 450mm x 450mm slabs (the mounts are designed to take these).

My issue is we have no perceived safe way to carry these up ladders to the roofs, so we have to end up carrying them under one arm to the roof and this means loss of three point of contact. Sometimes we also have to get them up through enclosed roof access ladders which precludes the use of a back pack.

There are hoist systems available but these need ballast to work so is self defeating.

Has anyone any experience with this or any better ideas how we can do this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150720_154500_resized.jpg
    20150720_154500_resized.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 335
Sponsored Links
could imagine H&S would have a field day with your firm if there was a serious accident.
surely there is a risk assessment and method statement in place?

Hi Gregers, this is what concerns me, everything else breaks down into manageable parts, except for the slabs. It just needs a solution , I'm just wondering if there is a type of netting or frame it can be put in to safely carry it up. Unfortunately we have to install in locations where you simply can't get a cherry picker or tele handler.

The additional issue is if we need to haul them up one at a time we'll be on the edge which again is a bit of an issue.

That's, helpful nose all, until one of us is either in a coma or in a wheelchair. We're having to lift these over our heads to pass them up and just saying don't drop it isn't useful either. Maybe I'll get an intelligent answer from someone else .

Sponsored Links
Could you use a stainless steel tray in place of the slabs and then fill it with gravel or other heavy material that could be carried in several smaller and lighter quantities than as one solid slab.

Yes it will be more expensive but more convenient in those situations where access is restricted. The socket for the mast could be incorporated as part of the tray

It might be necessary to cover the gravel to stop it being blown away in strong winds.

Thanks bernardgreen, we've tried a few things like that, we need to use slabs as sometimes we need to relocate the antennas to account for tree growth and buildings going up in the line of sight , the gravel idea is sound though for locations that have a clear line of sight . Thanks for that.

Certainly an interesting problem,
I would have thought a Personnal Fall Arrest System , i.e body harness would be needed working on the ladder.

How about something like this. Should a serious accident happen I would think H&S would consider either of the two pieces of equipment below be a minimum requirement.

ZbkC18R.png

Or you could form slabs insitu on the roof but you still have to get the raw materials up there.

I'd look at a strengthened rucksack, this will give you the points of contact and balance as it will be vertical & flush against the body.
When at the top a rope & carabina onto a rope loop (tied around the slab - not the rucksack will enable it to be lifted up safely.

Then this just leaves out the awkward places, for those you can always tie them and haul them on a rope, surely you can setup a pully\winch with some short scaffolding bars?
BTW, chicken wire type frames will enable bags of gravel to be used, or even use bags of sand.

Should there be an accident I dont think Health & Safety would look on carrying concrete slabs up a Ladder in a Rucksack on a workers back as a viable solution .

Also if Compensation for Injury was sort after, the Insurance Company would quite rightly refuse to pay out .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back