Salary question on application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just filling in an apllication form for a job. There's a box that says "salary required". Should I.....
1. fill in what I want and risk them just binning it because it's too high?

2. put a slightly lower figure in and possibly end up doing the job at a much lower rate than their existing employees?

3. leave it blank so it can be discussed at interview and risk them binning it for not filling it in?

If you were sifting through the applications, what would you think?

Sponsored Links
If the job is advertised without quoting a salary, then I think I would enter, 'negotiable', in much the same way as many job adds quote 'salary negotiable or o.t.e.

Depends on your circumstances but I'd be tempted to put in the figure that you really want to make it worth your while changing jobs and don't move from it during any negotiation. It may get binned, but then again, that will save you from wasting your time interviewing for a job that isn't going to pay enough. Don't be ashamed to talk about money at the interview, or to say that one of your motivations for moving is to earn more of it.

Whatever you do, don't put in a band such as 25-30k, meaning that you want 30k but are trying to soften the blow, as they will see that as 25k and have that in their mind throughout.

Sponsored Links
jonny_t,
We advertise jobs, sometimes we put salary, yes its annoying when you advertise £10k & offer £8k.(joke)..
But
If the right person turns up you do offer more if you think they are worth it, just the same way that you might offer less & say you need to prove you can do the job & review it within a few months.
I think unless you have a special quality it is not easy getting to the interview.

gcol
hey mucker ....you not been sacked again have you ?
Im looking for a lad to come look after my garden ,an If I allow you in the Big House with your track record I would have to put a lock on my wifes laundry basket though ...naturally ...lol..lol ;)

Nope not been sacked - just fed up with customers and bored with the work.
If I was to come round your house, your missus would be throwing her underwear at me and sending you off to the pub. ;)

gcol
what are you doing at the moment is it tiling , or bathroom suite refits ?

btw
my lass would be throwing her draws at you , but make sure you dont wash them in a hot hand wash an plenty of delicate fabric conditioner ...an of course she sends me to the boozer ..cos she knows shes in for a good session when I get home all Olly Reeded up an Masterful ....GGGGGGRRRRraa lol..lol

Flagging, tiling, painting, joinery, fitting kitchens and bathrooms, plumbing, computer repairs and upgrades etc etc etc - I'm a one man band property services type.

Would you believe that tomorrow I'm fitting glorified skirting board to a rake of rabbit hutches? Don't ask!

gcol said:
Would you believe that tomorrow I'm fitting glorified skirting board to a rake of rabbit hutches? Don't ask!

tell us about this skirting in a rabbit hutch then! :LOL:

gcol
Hey , no Pi sstake ....here pal ... MUCH Respect :)
I did far worse jobs , its the money, an for the family at the time ....
which is cool . ...

Thermo said:
gcol said:

tell us about this skirting in a rabbit hutch then! :LOL:
Some woman keeps loads of rabbits, I reckon she's planning on taking em indoors for winter. I think she wants some timber sticking on the outside of the hutches to cover the bottom of the meshed areas so the sawdust bedding doesn't get chucked all round her house. The things you do for beer tokens! :rolleyes:

Cheers Moz. ;)

dont forget to cut a nice little semi-circle in one of them for the mouse to get in and out of!

The things you do for beer tokens!

The things we do indeed, especially those ones that you think to yourself halfway through.....why the hell am i doing this! :LOL:

Having been S/E for nearly 10 years, I took up a new job with nationwide co.

They asked same thing, I put my salary on and when I got the job, I ended up with standard salary offered to the other sparks as set out in contract of employment.

What was the point, then?

Thermo said:
The things we do indeed, especially those ones that you think to yourself halfway through.....why the hell am i doing this! :LOL:

Oh god I really really hate that feeling.

Sponsored Links
Back