Salt bag in Domestic Hot Water feed tank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

A friend of mine hangs a bag of water softener tablets in a muslin bag in his Domestic Hot Water feed tank in his loft. Claims it softens the water a little and reduces calcium buildup in pipes and on taps.

I've seen an expensive product Fernox sell for a similar use but that contains soluble phosphosilicate glass.......

Any thoughs?

Is his salt doing the job?

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine hangs a bag of water softener tablets in a muslin bag in his Domestic Hot Water feed tank in his loft. Claims it softens the water a little and reduces calcium buildup in pipes and on taps.

I've seen an expensive product Fernox sell for a similar use but that contains soluble phosphosilicate glass.......

Any thoughs?

Yes. Your friend is an idiot.

Is his salt doing the job?

Only if the job is making the water harder and causing corrosion of his plumbing.

Sponsored Links
I think he opted for salt as the dishwasher uses salt & I assume water softeners do too?...

I guess I should advise him to research what he's doing a little more! Heh!

Seperate salt in dishwashers is used to regenerate the resin bed during the backwash cycle it is NOT used to make the water soft.

A bag of polyphosphates may make a slight difference but only a true water softener installed on the main will do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back