Samsung Smart TV 2013

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two of these, the newest is a 2013 model.

In terms of tech, it is cracking on.

It is gradually losing its apps. We lost My5 a while ago and now we have lost ITV Hub. We have a Sammy "smart" DVD too and, while we have not lost App icons on that, they fail to load.

That is a similar age to the newest TV.

Both TVs are working well, albeit there is an LED shining through on the newer unit.
Is the only solution to replace with newer models?

Sponsored Links
I've just replaced a 2017 TV (because it died), the difference in the way the software works is night and day, I wouldn't have ever replaced it had it not died but the difference is stark. You could always get a Fire Stick, though personally I found that a bit clunky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I shall look into that.

You could always get a Fire Stick, though personally I found that a bit clunky.

Yes, me too.

Is the only solution to replace with newer models?

You've done well for the apps to last this long.

The answer is a Fire TV stick or a Roku stick. They're fitted with more powerful processing chips and more memory. They work faster and support a bigger range of apps. No subscriptions are required to run them simply as a replacement for a defunct TV smart O/S.

Actually, I was just thinking about Roku as I bought one for my Ma who has a non-smart Panasonic and also wanted a bit of a volume boost.
Maybe not the best soundbar in the world but it works for her.

I've got a Roku, converted my aged Sony TV, to a fast Smart/Media TV. Highly rated

I've owned 2 Samsung 60" TV in the past. Both went faulty within 5 years first one had dark bands around edge of screen caused by led panel separating
2nd one developed a board fault causing bright spots on screen.
I found the apps were very limited for the smart tv.

Bought a Sony now which uses Google TV, now I can get all the apps you would get in the Google play store, you can even download android apps from alternative sources.
I used to think Samsung TV were the bees knees, but this Sony is built so much better and with Google software.

Any smart TV from 5 years ago would have had a similar limited amount of apps available, as typically any smart TV bought now will have far more available and will typically have a much smoother interface. It's the time difference and the advances in technology not the manufacturers difference you're seeing. Anyway if you'd bought them from John Lewis or Richer Sounds they'd have both been repaired under warranty (or more likely replaced).

Mine was bought from Richer Sounds, and replaced under their 7 year warranty.

The Samsung TV's have not progressed much regarding apps in the last 5 years, whereas the Sony has

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back