Samsung ue48h66705txxu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon everybody, I have a chance to buy the above tv from a close relative for £100, ish, and for the life of me I can't find the specs anywhere, I'd like to know things like....the refresh rate, probably 50 or 60 maybe 100,? the year of manufacture, things like that, if somebody can give a link that would be great.
And just as important, if anybody has an opinion on this model, be it good or bad, I would be very gratefull

Sponsored Links
That 5 should be a letter S.

Try UE48H6670 as the product code.

1000005573.jpg

Check tv screen when switched on , my Samsung has horrible white and purple patches all over the screen.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. My UE48H5500 has a new patch almost every week. We're up to 11 so far.

Thanks for all reply's, I'm thinking I might give this model a swerve, after reading comments on forums, if I'm correct this is approx a 10 year old model,? and is 1920x1080, rather than 3840x2160 ? utlra HD?, which I think is better for normal TV watching?
I can't quite fathom what the refresh or motion rate is, and when does this make a difference, as you can tell I'm no expert in this field,(lol), but I'm trying to learn as much as poss before I dive in, all advice is most welcome, cheers.

If it were me, I'd put the £100ish towards something a lot newer.

Normal broadcast TV is 720/704/544 x 576 interlaced SD, or 1920 x 1080 interlaced for HD. So that, 2014 model year TV is perfectly suited to the UK TV broadcasts we have. AVForums Review listed refresh rate at 600Hz on their Specs tab.
The 6 series in 2014 was only in the 'mid range' of the Samsung products that year. That set was just under £900 rrp when first out (and would probably have been discounted in 2015).

3840x2160p is UHD and almost invariably only available streamed (barring, I believe, possibly some pay-TV sports via $ky and maybe Virgin). UHD upscaled SD material can be dire and a more complex mathematical transformation, especially on cheaper level UHD sets. HD upscaling is far easier (HD->UHD being a simple x2 in horizontal and vertical pixels).

More and more streaming is in UHD though. BBC iPlayer has some programmes in UHD and all the big subscription streamers too (at a cost). But if you don't stream much and watch a lot of SD TV channels...

That was excellent Rodders, So in my case, as in just watching ordinary channels and maybe programmes on catch up like I player etc then 1920x1080 HD is fine, and a TV with 3840x2160UHD is wasted if I dont stream?
I thought the majority of TV's were 50/60 or 100/120hz refresh rate? so 600 is huge.

That was excellent Rodders, So in my case, as in just watching ordinary channels and maybe programmes on catch up like I player etc then 1920x1080 HD is fine, and a TV with 3840x2160UHD is wasted if I dont stream?
I thought the majority of TV's were 50/60 or 100/120hz refresh rate? so 600 is huge.

There's native refresh rate (how many times a whole picture can be displayed on a TV panel), and there's the motion processing rate, which is how many goes round the processing electronics has at scaling and filling in the missing bits between real pixels.

The important one is native refresh rate. Most TVs are 50Hz (UK) but capable of displaying anything from 48Hz up to 60Hz.

48Hz is 2x 24 frames per second for film material. 60Hz is computer refresh rate but also used for American sourced TV programmes. When streaming, your TV will output 60Hz for a lot of US content unless it was shot on digital 'film', in which case the TV will show the refresh rate as 24Hz but in reality that's too flickery, so the telly doubles the frames which means showing each one twice, hence 48Hz

Panasonic plasma came up with this 600Hz as a sub pixel drive rate. Since plasma is dead then it's all moot.

Whatever a TV's native refresh rate, the motion processing will be at least x2 of it. Don't get conned into thinking any TV is great because the motion processing rate is 100/120Hz. The real deal is the native refresh rate. When this hits 100/120Hz then things just got serious.

Last edited:
Cheers Lucid, so the native refresh rate is the important one, and I can ignore the motion refresh rate, and 50Hz is fine but 100 hz is better? I just want to get the important bits clear before I take the plunge, Thanks.

Cheers Lucid, so the native refresh rate is the important one, and I can ignore the motion refresh rate, and 50Hz is fine but 100 hz is better? I just want to get the important bits clear before I take the plunge, Thanks.
Here be dragons. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There's a whole raft of things that have an influence on picture quality. If money was no object, you'd buy one of the new generation quantum dot (QD) OLED TVs 80% of the time. The remaining 20%, for those times when the TV has to compete against huge amounts of ambient light because your lounge is the equivalent of a south-facing conservatory, you'd buy one of the high-light-output LED TVs, either QNED or mini-LED.

With a top-of-the-range set you get everything. 100Hz* native refresh rate; a true 10-bit colour panel, variable refresh rate (VRR) for gaming, low lag (also for gaming but benefits video too); either a backlighting tech split into hundreds or thousands of dimmable zones (FALD - full array local dimming) based on LED or mini-LED tech, or OLED which can switch off and dim every individual pixel for the ultimate in contrast ratio from pure black to full white. If you go OLED then you don't need to make the choice between viewing angle and black depth.

Something that's overlooked in the race to flog ever cheaper tellies is screen brightness. Compared to all CRT TVs, flatscreen tellies are brighter, and that means the pictures are easier to see when there's some ambient light. (Are you old enough to remember having to close the curtains to watch a CRT TV in summer?) The industry was making good progress on this during the HD Ready and 1080p TV era. We should have hit turbo boost when TVs got LED backlights. The combination of lower heat, less power, far less space, brighter, easier to work with, and possibly cheaper than CCFL tube could have been the golden ticket for all TVs. But it isn't. Since we hit 4K too, progress in light output for cheaper TVs has stagnated and even gone backwards.

The desire to sell more TVs rather than better TVs has created a monster that looks to cut corners. One significant casualty has been backlighting. "Use fewer LEDs and drive them harder" has been the mantra. The fly in the ointment here is HDR. It's possible to get away with a dull TV if all it is showing is standard dynamic range material (SDR). Now we have HDR, this is no longer the case, or not if you want HDR to pop like it should.

A TV where the backlights are struggling to make SDR look acceptable has nothing left in reserve when it's time to hit boost for HDR.

How do we know about screen brightness, and what's a 'good' brightness level?

Better quality reviews use gear to measure the screen brightness. They give figures in cd/m2 (candelas per metre squared). Budget TVs and a surprising number of midrange sets struggle to do more than **300cd/m2 in both SDR and HDR. This included some of the older entry-level LG and Samsung LED TVs. There are review out there for 2019/2020 models that barely scrape 260 and 280cd/m2. Newer Samsung CU8500- and LG UR9100-series are marginally better (340-370cd/m2) but there's still underwhelming. Compare this to say the Sony X85L which will his around 560cd/m2. Okay, the Sony is £899 for the 55" set vs £500 for the Samsung in the same size. However, you get a lot more with the Sony besides just the brightness. Step up again to an LG C3 OLED at £1,299, and not only do you hit 800cd/m2, but virtually all the wish list of features is ticked. The only major omissions are HDR10+ and the DTS audio pass-thru could be better.

The reviews at rtings and AVForums are good. They breakdown exactly where a TV is strong and weak. The rtings site gives a comprehensive list of TV comparisons. Something to be aware of though is that the US gets some different model specs to the UK and Europe. Their Hisense models are far better than we get even though the model number is the same. (Bizarre but true.) Panasonic doesn't feature much in the US, nor does Philips. They have more Vizio and TCL models than we get.

* 100Hz means it does 100Hz and 120Hz. Certain TVs will go beyond this. 144Hz at 1080p for gaming for example.
** based on 10% white screen area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back