Sanding a door prior to painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been wet sanding for an hour and a half an internal door and it's frame. I could have saved myself a bit of time when I realised I was also using the wrong side of the paper. It's a very tough old gloss paint and still is a bit shiny. Will that do or does it need to go completely matt? Does every nook and cranny needs to be 100% sanded down?

Also, will I still need to sand down between coats? I will be applying a Primer & Undercoat and a White Satin paint, both water based.

There are other doors to paint and sanding seems to take forever.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps they're using wet or dry paper? And the wrong side of that...

I'm using Wet and Dry sandpaper. I dip the sandpaper in a bucket prior to sanding, as per the instructions. I'm using this method as it doesn't create any dust.

Sponsored Links
I'm using Wet and Dry sandpaper. I dip the sandpaper in a bucket prior to sanding, as per the instructions. I'm using this method as it doesn't create any dust.

Take the door off and work outside?

Use normal 120g paper and key surface that is good and work harder on areas with defects such as dry drips and over coated areas.

Will I still need to sand between 2 coats if I'm using water based paints, or does that mainly apply for oil paints?

Thanks again.

What do the instructions on the tin say? I wouldn't unless there are runs and drips to deal with

Depends on if the job picks up dust.

Run you hand over job after dry, de-nib, if smooth then just apply further coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back