sanding unlevel parquet flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently put down a small amount of parquet (8-9 sq m) in my hallway, but the blocks were not all the same thickness :oops: , so some are higher than other (max 2mm variance).

i am going to sand them but due to the size and shape of the room (L shape) i am thinking it would be a waste of time hiring a floor sander. I currently have a detail (delta) sander so was thinking of getting an orbital/random orbital/belt sander to do the job by hand.

are there any pros and cons of the different type of sanders for this job?

Sponsored Links
Main thing is to use the correct abrasives for first, second and third (and even fourth) sanding.
Start with grit 40, second is 80 (if you want to fill the gaps with woodfiller mixed with sand-dust, collect the dust of this sanding, if possible), then grit 120. If you are thinking of varnish/lacquer finish sand it a fourth time with grit 150.

Also be wary of sanding marks, so don't force the sander and preferably sand during day-light.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back