Sanding victorian floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am a newbie to this site and also to the world of sanding so could do with some advice please.

We have just bought a victorian terrace house and when we get the keys on 2nd Sept I plan to sand 5 of the floors before we move in. I am going to stain the ground floor a dark colour, maybe walnut or ebony and the childrens top floor I am going to paint white.

My question is how do I colour and treat the ground floor ? Do I use stain or dye and then put 3 coats of clear varnish ? Or should I use a coloured varnish and if so will the natural floorboard colour not show through if the floor gets chipped or damaged? What product is best ? Or is there another way I should be doing it?

If anyone can give me any advice as this is the first time I have sanded any floors at all and can not afford to get someone in to do them all.

Thanks x

Sponsored Links
I would seriously consider getting a proffesional in, particularly downstairs. It is very difficult to get a good finish, particularly if you have not done it before.
I consider myself a competent diyer, but I did it in my last house - took ages and cost a fortune in materials (I got the most best and most expensive on the market), and it looked rubbish..... :cry:

Hi, jay679

Just been to look round the house we have bought this morning, as all the lads that where renting it have moved out so I can see the rooms for the first time empty. And it is worst than I thought, so really can not afford to get someone to do all the rooms. So i might try doing upstairs as i am painting them then move on to the back room/dinning room and see how I get on.
Will see about getting a quote for hall and lounge. I knew I was being a bit ambitious when everyone I spoke to shook their heads, but I thought it was just cause I am a girl !! Haha

So as still doing some floors all tips are very welcome.

Thanks x

Sponsored Links
I would recommend that you don't do this.

Sanding one room with a hired sander and edger was physically very hard work. The result was ok, but the floors were noisy, draughty and cold.

Once I factored in the cost of the sander and floor varnish I could have put down cheap carpet which would have been much better in the short term.

If you are adament, then you will need to start by punching all the nails in the floor below the surface so they don't catch on the sander. You will then need to hire a floor sander and an edging sander - you will also need to purchase from the hire shop all the grades of sanding belt you will need )not cheap!)

To fill in any gaps between boards you have a number of choices.
If the gaps are big, you can pull up all the boards, shuffle them along and then buy reclaimed boards to fit the gap at the end.
You can also mix the sawdust from sanding together with wood glue and use it to fill the gaps.
Another option is to buy wood slivers (they sell them on ebay among other places), that you glue and hammer into the gaps and then plane off any excess.

You will then need to vaccuum the area thoroughly and then stain and varnish (several coats) to your required finish.

Hope that helps

You will also need a good dust mask, (not the paper throw away type ) and ear protection , Good dust extraction is Vital as well..
And make sure all doors are closed to help minimize the fine dust migrating through the house ( you will not stop it :mrgreen: )

Have a look on U tube for demos on how to sand floors
Notice the steps that they take
It can take as long to sand the floor as it can to prep the floor for Sanding LOL

HTH

Morning everyone,

Thank you for all your help. If I survive the experience I will post photos of the results, good or bad !!! I may be asking for a good floor sanding company but if I don't try and do at least one myself I will never know.😊😊

Thanks Colette x

make sure you hire the correct equipment
people think a sander is a sander and wonder why one room has taken over a week and several £ in pads as a sheet sander only works at around 5% off a floor sander
or in other words 20 times longer and on your hands and knees :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back