Saniflo issue, recent installation - any ideas?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help.

About 4 months ago I had an ensuite built in the attic with a shower, basin and toilet attached to a Sanpro XR UP.

The waste pipe is 22mm and runs horizontally about 3 metres, then down to the floor below, then horizontal again (with a lift at one point) for around 15 meters to the waste outside, all smooth curves and no 90 degree bends.

At first it was running absolutely fine, about 10 seconds of fairly quiet noise after a flush.

Then we went on holiday for a week, and on returning had guests staying a while and using it every day.

Now a strange fault has occured that I can't work out.

When the toilet is flushed. The unit comes on and stays on for a good minute, buzzing away (and sounding like water is being sprayed around inside, having checked, the water in there just stays in the tank for this period) before then getting louder and louder like a jet engine for aprox 10 seconds then with an almighty whoosh the pump discharges whatever is inside and the tank empties.

Immediately afterwards, the unit makes a loud gurgling sound, like it's filling up with water, or air is being bubbled through it, which lasts another 10 seconds.

I've disconnected the power and taken the lid off, blades are completely clear and turn okay.

I've tried two rounds of cleaning with the proper descaling solution.

Upon filling the unit to descale (emptying descaler into toilet bowl and flushing with power off - then powering on after 2 hours where it automatically discharges) the unit works properly again.

Upon leaving it for say 30 minutes or so, the problem returns.

Any ideas? Siphon? Faulty Membrane? Something stuck in the motor?

I read that when the waste drops to another floor level there should be an additional AAV installed at a height coming off the unit to avoid siphon. But the installers haven't done this.

Would siphon even cause this problem? What would siphonage even do and how does it work? I struggle to understand how it works in relation to saniflo and can't find anything online.

I'm reluctant to strip it all down as it has been 'used' and wary of the cost of an engineer - if its something that isn't to do with the pump or membrane.

The original installer has gone quiet, surprise surprise.

Any insight or expertise would be hugely appreciated!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back