Saniflo not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, the house that I recently bought has a Saniflo fitted in the downstairs loo. I don't know much about these, other than they are an absolute pain and often go wrong (some of my sites at work have them fitted).

Surprise surprise, mine has now gone wrong. In short, I flushed the toilet yesterday and instead of the pump kicking in and the water draining away, the water did not drain and filled right to the top of the bowl. You can hear a repeated click noise from the unit and a very faint whirr as if it;s trying to work (click whirr, click whirr...). I've left it for a day and it's still making this noise and the level in the pan has dropped by about half.

This toilet gets used very little, mainly because it's usually freezing cold, as it's off the utlity room, which itself is just the back half of the side garage, walled off, so it's not properly insulated. I'm thinking this may be the problem - i'd say it probably hadn't been used for the past 2/3 weeks through the freezing weather - could this have affected it (although it always worked fine before)?

When it does get used, not to sound too horrible, but nothing solid goes down through it (except toilet paper), or at least not since I've had the house (August) as I didn't want to tempt fate!

The unit itself has a little red button on the front side of it, which I've tried pressing, but nothing happens. Is there anything I can try to get it working, or am I going to havr to get someone in to strip the whole thing down?

Sponsored Links
It's either bust beyond repair and needs replacing, or its clogged up with stuff that shouldn't have been put down there. There could be a blockage on the outlet run to the foul waste drain but you can check that when you disconnect the unit and open it up...

Yes that's right you need to get a box of surgical gloves, old towels you never want to see again, and a plastic syphon pump as used for aquarium maintenance - only a few quid from fish / aquarium shop.

Pump the tainted water out of the WC pan into a bucket using th syphon pump thingy until the WC pan trap is empty. Make sure no-one runs any baths, showers or sinks that might be connected to the unit.

Don't disconnect the outlet tube via the jubilee clip on the white rubber tube - a lot of gravity / backpressure might cause a big mess. On most models you can pull the non return valve out of the top of the saniflo with the tube attached, allowing you to then position a bucket under the tube. By the way, make sure the saniflo is disconnected from the electric supply first, especially before you open it as the blades can cut off your fingers or cut them with septic deposits left under the skin...

Remove the lid of the unit and see what's stuck inside. Often there's shreds of condom or sanitary towel caught around the blades. Be extremely careful with this BIO HAZARD. Use tweezers rather than fingers.

Re- assemble the unit to test. I have run them with the lid off to observe but that is for the brave / stupid.

To test the outlet run to the drain, attach a clean piece of 22mm pipe - plastic or copper to the outlet pipe and blow down. Any resistance should quickly subside if there's no blockage. Could even connect a hose to mains water to test / jet.

You'll probably find it's time for a new unit.

Shop around online as prices vary a lot.

Try Saniflo DESCALER. Purchase at Amzon. You need to use this every 6 months. 1/2 gallon every six months.

Sponsored Links
Do you know when it was fitted? They come with a 3 year warranty. If you get the serial and ring them up they may be able to do something.

The Watereasy in toolstation is by saniflow and the same one wickes sell but for nearly £100 less

Ideally you would get shot of the macerater, is there no way to get a soil pipe in? They are a pain when they go wrong. I have one, and an engineer called under warranty, it was fixed (disgusting job) then failed outside of warranty and replaced it

I understand the topic date is 3 years old. But when I am looking for data on any item I review the boards and I always learn something as a result. The reason I posted was I am surprised at the people who discard the unit when most times descaler works.

What is the cutoff date that I am permitted to post?

I think the post was more to me! As I asked about warranty. There is no cut off if its of relevance to original post although worth saying.. I know post is x years old but for anyone with similar problem ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back