saniflo, whats my alternitive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all, i live in a 2nd + 3rd floor victorian flat. the main bathroom on the 2nd floor used to be a bedroom but has been converted at some point in the past. the wc has a saniflo unit.

there is approx 2m from the toilet location to the outside wall of the flat, the origional main waste pipe is approx 10 meters to the left of this along the back wall of the building

what are my options for replacing this saniflo abomination with a normal style wc to waste pipe layout. are these options expensive?

e

Sponsored Links
Unless you can get a 1:40 fall with a 4" pipe your options are:

a - no loo
b - new saniflo
c - another brand that I can't for the life of me remember the name of..
d - a bucket
e - Elizabthan style water closet (hang a7se out of window and shout "incoming!").

If I or any of the others can remember the brand of the other macerator I'm sure we'll post - if I remember correctly it was spanish and was in two halves for easy servicing.

Sponsored Links
That could be it - its late -btu that isn't the Saniflo company we love to hate? Is it?

The device looks similar; but it was three or four years since it was fitted by one of my guys (none of have had to go back to it so far0.

I'm sure he said it was full of spanish instructions....

2m isn't far, you only need a couple of inches fall on that. 10 metres outside isn't an issue either. 10 inches fall.
If the joists run the wrong way to get the exhaust out under the floor you may have to raise the loo a bit. I lifted one about 60mm in a London flat. Have tried it - gives you a rather royal feeling!

Strictly speaking it needs scaffolding to put a soil pipe like that on the outside 2nd floor, but I've done higher from a ladder, in me yoof.

Dan_Robinson said:
Unless you can get a 1:40 fall with a 4" pipe your options are:

a - no loo
b - new saniflo
c - another brand that I can't for the life of me remember the name of..
d - a bucket
e - Elizabthan style water closet (hang a7se out of window and shout "incoming!").

The bucket is cheaper and probably more reliable than the saniflow... plus it will be a lot easier to maintain.

I take it you folks don't really enjoy SaniFlow units? I have one in my new place, and it's very helpful when sitting on the loo, because if you displace enough water, it starts, and helps scare the sh1t out of you :p

However, I'm hoping it isn't going to cause me any issues.....

What are the things to look out for on a SaniFlow?

A good plumber who won't run like hell when he hears the dreaded name.
Thats definitely not me, I go to work in my running shoes just in case. :evil:

chuckalicious said:
What are the things to look out for on a SaniFlow?
Things that Saniflow units don't like:

• Poo.
    Water.
    Electricity.
    Plumbers.
Things that Saniflow units really really don't like:

• Sanitary towels.
    Tampons.
    Kitchen towels.
    Hair.
    String or anything string-like in nature.
    Poo.
    Water.
    Electricity.
    Plumbers.

:LOL: :LOL: Very true!

Back in the day when I worked for my bruv; he serviced (still does) mainly one estate agent in London - actually a very nice bunch of people, which was surprising. This one tenant had a "sinflo" connected to a basin, bath and loo. This pheker blocked on an almost monthly basis - and it was always dog hair.

Everytime he/we went to clean it, it cost the landlord £200 once parking and tea was taken into account. In the end the landlord got suspicious and phoned in to see what the story was. We had told the tenants not to wash the mutt in the bath (the thing looked like an Ewok) and they said they never did - we joked with the estate agents that the tenant must really need a Brazillian if it was not the dog; but the saga went on for ages.

In the end we had to take photos of the dog shampoo bottle that was left in the bath andthis weird lookng mutt that was very interested to see what these strange smells were emanating from the bathroom (no jokes please).

Moral of the storey - wax often, flush never!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back