Sanishower slow operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I installed a sanishower in my en-suite about two years ago, but lately it is reluctant to take the water out at a reasonable rate, and although still working, the tray is filling faster than the water is discharging. Has anyone had experience of this type of problem - is it just a clean-out or is there a quick fix using a cleaner/descaler as it is an absolute t**t to access after everything has been re-built around it, plinth, flooring etc. Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
these are always a poor substitute for a real correctly plumbed drain or sump pump..

more a reflection of a trivialisation of engineering than anything else..

saniflow have technical support and agents... a few visits by them and you will wonder why you didn't do things properly in the first place!

Move house.

Honestly.

Less work in the long term. Will probably cost less and your marriage has a better chance of remaining intact.

Hi Kevekjay

Sounds like you've got the same problem as me. I moved to this house 2 years ago with a Sanishower fitted about 3 years before that. It's been working perfectly until the past week or so, now it still empties the shower tray, but much slower.

The 2 answers you have so far received weren't much help, were they? I just wondered if you have any further infomation yet?

And before any smart a*se replies that I should have it all re-plumbed, believe me, where the shower is this is just not practical and like I said, until recently it all worked just fine. :confused:

Sponsored Links
David. Your correct in saying that the replies to date are less than constructive - it seems some people just want to jump on their soap box to slag off some product or another, but conveniently forget that a genuine request for help is required. As a joiner, I ALWAYS try and offer constructive advice when replying to other posts - just not in my nature to say something like "move home" or "..should have done it right first time"
Come on guys, any constructive advice out there? If I find out anything David, i'll PM you. Incidentally, I ran 3 litres of Saniflo cleaner/descaler through the unit overnight, not an ounce of difference :rolleyes: - save your money on this 'solution' Kev

Hi Keveljay

Good news. I decided to take the bull by the horns today and have a go myself. First you must disconnect from your power supply, then disconnect the inflow pipe (mine was held on with a Jubilee clip). A few drops of water came out which I was ready for with a shallow tray and old sponge (don't tell the wife... it was one of her baking trays!). Then the more tricky one, the outlet pipe. Mine goes vertically up one floor level before going horizontal and then outside, so I guessed it would be full of effluent water, which it was. But by being ready with a deeper tray, or bucket if you can fit one beneath, and a sponge to mop up any splashing I managed to contain most of it OK, which came gushing out as soon as I loosened the jubilee clip. It wasn't that much and had completely drained in about 30 seconds. My unit wasn't actually fixed to anything (apart from the two pipes) so I was able to lift it up and carry it outside. The water tight top is held on with two strong clips either end. Prise these open with a screwdriver and off it comes. When I looked inside it was a total mess, absolutely full of gunge.... YUK! I hosed most of it away then pulled the pump and motor units that are joined together inside away from the outer casing. They fit into a groove on the inside wall of the casing so you just pull them up to release them, but you must release the outflow flexible connecting pipe first, by simply pushing it back through it's own hole so it's no longer held in place by the casing. It should all come away clear of the casing then, but only as far as the electrical cable will let you. But it's enough to able to get to all the tricky bits and I set to with some warm soapy water and an old tooth brush for about half an hour and got most of the muck off. I can't believe how much there was inside. I'd no idea if this would make any difference at this stage, and still thought I may have to buy a new unit, but I carefully reassembled it (make sure you replace the large rubber seal and the water tight lid is snapped firmly closed onto those two clips). I then reconnected the in and out pipes and double checked the connections were tight. I had my sponge ready if it all went wrong and finally flicked my shower switch on. After the usual ten seconds or so the micro switch inside the Sanishower detected the inbound water and it started pumping! And obviously the clean-up had done the job as the water cleared from my shower tray instantly. Fantastic. That saved me around £200 for a new unit and I didn't even need a plumber. Good luck! :D

FFS Dave - try and get your head around the use of paragraphs and punctuation :eek:

as it is an absolute t**t to access after everything has been re-built around it, plinth, flooring etc. Any advice would be much appreciated

A perfect reason why things should be done properly in the first place.

The advise to move house is as good as any.

Hi Dan

Keveljay and myself were seeking some sensible practical advise. Moving house isn't an option for me and probably not for him.

Forgive me if my punctuation isn't perfect. I'm just an ordinary guy and not an author.

I was more concerned about how many words DIYnot would permit in any one posting, hence no paragraphs. I just wanted to describe to Keveljay what I achieved as a total amateur, so my previous posting was something of a list of actions which have proved to work, and this will hopefully help Keveljay repair his unit even though it sounds like he'll have a bit of a job accessing it.

I couldn't agree with you more about doing a job properly in the first place. In my case this wasn't an option as the Sanishower was already installed when I moved in. However, I've no complaints about it and as I said previously it did the job well until a couple of weeks ago. And after yesterday's clean out, continues to do the job well. :unsure:

Is this a shower-only unit?

Because if it was a shower+bog unit then a more accurate description of 'gunge' would be 'months-old festering shyte'

David. Thanks very much for your post - so glad you have sorted it out, and most appreciative of the walk-through guide. I will attempt mine given your success, but not until i've plucked up enough courage to rip the whole cubicle apart (wet tile board) sitting down over the tray upstand :cry: Still, only got my own a**e to kick!! .....talking about kicking a**e, dyma fo Cymraig against Italy :D the grand slam is still on

Just as a (late) follow up to this, I did manage to sort the problem without having to resort to the nightmare of a strip-out. I used a couple of litres of Sani de-scaler overnight in the sump and up to the top of the plug hole, but this didn't work until I got a good old fashioned sink plunger on the job and gave it the good news for a couple of minutes. Working as new now.
Logically, the de-scaler must have loosened whatever s**t was on the contacts and the vigorous plunging removed it (I DO like a bit of vigorous plunging ;) )
Just going to chuck a bit of the cleaner down it every few months to keep it clean.
Thanks, Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back