Sanity Check Required - Do I really need 3 Phase Upgrade?

Sponsored Links
2 ovens, microwave,& steam oven on a 32a RCBO ? mm, that's a pain in the ass when it trips !
It's a 23A load using the conventional diversity calculation. How/when/why would that trip a 32A breaker?
I suspect DS was thinking of the inconvenience (and possible difficulties in fault finding) if one lost all one's cooking appliances as a result of a L-E or N-E fault in one of them causing the single RCBO to operate. As I wrote, I might possibly split the appliances onto two RCBOs for that reason - but, even if I did that, I would still add them all together and apply diversity to the total for the purpose of determining the load on the installation.

Kind Regards, John

It's an RCBO ………….

DS
So in a professional capacity would you always advise people to never buy anything like this:

avalon-v2-l.jpg

:?:

Sponsored Links
I suspect DS was thinking of the inconvenience (and possible difficulties in fault finding) if one lost all one's cooking appliances as a result of a L-E or N-E fault in one of them causing the single RCBO to operate. As I wrote, I might possibly split the appliances onto two RCBOs for that reason
There's always Plan B: Don't use an RCD device on that circuit.

There's always Plan B: Don't use an RCD device on that circuit.
There is, but (even if one feels that RCD protection is not necessary for 'safety' reasons) that will quite often introduce hassles in terms of the wiring of the circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Kitchen cooking appliances 32A
2 ovens, microwave & steam oven

Induction Hob 32A

Other kitchen & utility sockets / appliances 32A

Socket outlets & other fixed items
20A
for basement
20A for ground floor
20A for first floor
20A for loft

Lighting
6A
lights basement & first floor
6A lights ground floor & loft

12 way main switch CU with 9 RCBOs for the circuits above and 3 spaces for any future items.

That makes very good common sense, although don't smoke alarms need to be on their own circuit? Or is that just recommended and not required?

Judging by the kitchen money is not an issue.

If I told you it is a second hand kitchen would you alter your judgement?

We only have 4 ovens because that's what came with it. Was seriously thinking of selling one of the ovens to reduce the load and solve the issue, but then that mucks up the whole unit arrangement.

Last edited:
Judgement ?

Well perhaps you can find a secondhand consumer unit.

Regards,

DS

That makes very good common sense, although don't smoke alarms need to be on their own circuit? Or is that just recommended and not required?
It's suggested somewhere, but not required.
Connected to a lighting circuit is fine, and also means people notice quickly if the circuit is off for any reason.

Having a dig at me by saying "Don't tell Ban that we're advising putting a 100A+ load onto a 100A fuse......:sneaky:" even though that would have been completely untrue, and all because I'd said one should not put a 26A load on a 20A breaker.

Even though what would have been completely untrue? I'm struggling to follow what you're saying.

It's suggested somewhere, but not required.
Connected to a lighting circuit is fine, and also means people notice quickly if the circuit is off for any reason.
No it isn't suggested. BS 5839-6 (which covers domestic detection) actually states a preference for the lighting circuit so as they are not left de-energised.

A proper fire alarm panel is a completely different kettle of fish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back