Sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to incorporate a small wc on the 1st floor of my house. The door opening is already there as, although the plan shows 1 bedroom, it used to be 2.

I would like to make the new wc as small as possible but I think the smallest it can be is 900 x 1100. Or maybe you have a better idea?
Does my plan look like it will work or have I not thought of something that will be a show stopper?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
put it in the corner of the "lounge" next to the soil pipe - that way the wc room will be long enough to get a proper opening door on it :idea:

Good idea, but I had some really nice large glass/oak doors fitted on the Lounge a couple of years ago, and wouldn't want to mess them around.

Thanks anyway.

You need a space big enough to fit a pan, basin and still have enough room to get it, sit down and be able to shut the door!

I do wonder about that setup, you not only have to get a soil connection to the stack, but you will also require some form of fixed ventilation, i.e. a fan which will need to be ducted to an outside wall. :confused:

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, you must install a fan to extract at 6L/sec min. And have 15 minute min. run-on.
Thing is , with an extractor there will be noise - take it into account. Talk to Mfr's.

2. Reg. dimensions for a WC compartment are min: 760mm width at the WC, and a 530mm space in front of the WC.
I think BCO would have to approve a folding door.
Teenage girls, quite rightly, detest any kind of flimsy wc/bathroom door.

3. Your joists appear to run the "right" way for discharging the ext. and the WC through the floors/joist bays. However, where exactly do you intend to connect to the S&VP? Is the S&VP plastic or CI?

Thanks for your post dan09, I very much appreciate your help.

The door I was looking at is Oak, with frosted panels. I haven't seen it yet but I'm quietly confident about that.

If I go ahead with this wc I know what will happen in this house; the door will remain open at all times, and if the extractor fan is loud, it will get turned off like the one upstairs.

If I really, really have to get a fan I suppose I would be able to route it out of the building some how. Do I have to have it, who is policing that?

I'm not sure what the svp is made of, but does it matter, surely a plumber will get around that problem?

A plumber can get around most things, but if the stack is iron it'll be a lot more work to break into it than a plastic stack! Boxing in would have to be removed to access the pipe anyway, but iron wont cut with a handsaw, angle grinder or chain cutter would be needed. Chain cutter needs a fair bit of room to use, angle grinder makes a lot of sparks, not ideal internally!

Fitting a junction into an iron stack using flexible rubber couplings then also gives the additional headache of supporting the cast pipe above the junction, there is a lot of weight there!

I know I'm joining the parade a little late, but can I ask exactly WHY you want to add a WC on this floor? It looks like you already have toilets on the floor above AND below this one.

It is simply for the convenience of not having to use a flight of stairs when you need the john during Eastenders?

Or, are you looking to have a toilet close to the bedroom on this floor!?

If it is the latter, then you may as well simply make it an en-suite no? you could place it in the corner of the lounge, right next to the stack, but away from the entrance doors you recently had put in, and then make a new door to it through the bedroom.

I hope its not the former!

It is for both reasons; to use when in the Lounge, and for use from the bedroom.

The en-suite idea is good, but I would have to break through the load bearing wall between bedroom and lounge, then lose space from the lounge.

After getting everyone's feedback, I'm starting to have second thoughts on this wc, I have to say :confused:

I suggested placing it wihtin the lounge area because it appears to be losing you significant space off of the bedroom. What is the width of that bedroom at the narrowest point?

After receiving all of your valuable comments, I've decided against the wc.

I'm so glad I put the post on, I think I've saved myself a lot of time, money and bother.

Thanks to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back