SAP test for domestic extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help and advice please.
I have had planning permission for extension above an existing garage.
I have been approached by an ``energy efficiency company'' saying that I must have a SAP test done on the new extension to prove that it is energy effeicient. The quote was for £200 and that I must have this to pass Bregs.
My understanding was that if I could prove the u values for the insulation on the new extension that this would be enough. Insulation companies have said that they would provide u value calcs. Any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
They are trying to scam some money out of you. You don't need a SAP calc.

Bin the letter

You are correct in that if you use known methods of construction, then that is acceptable in meeting the B/regs Part L1a in terms of SAP and insulation etc

In fact, send the letter to their local Trading Standards with a complaint relating to their misleading statements intended to induce money from you

Whenever planning permission is applied for it is open for public viewing. This is so any person can look at your plans and object if they feel they have grounds.

But they arent the only ones trawling through the weekly planning applications. You get builders merchants, roof truss companies, sometimes little 1 man band concrete owner drivers and so on.

These companies often contact people who have submitted planning in order to get their foot in your door so that you will buy your materials/services from them.

It looks as if this particular company is hoping that you dont know too much about building, and also sounds as if their introductory letter is a little miss leading.

Your BCO (Building Control Officer) will come and inspect at various stages of your build/conversion and if you are un-shure, he will be happy to advise you. The spec you are building too should have be stated on the plans when submitted for building regs.

If you havent applied for building regs and you have submitted a building notice to you BCO then again, they will contact you and arrange for visits at various stages. Costs the same which ever way you do it to be honest (does in Lancashire)

Your BCO will not pass your build if he isnt happy so theres no point getting these people in if your BCO isnt happy. They cant say "dont worry about the BCO were happy" because it means nothing without the BCO writing you off.

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind that some types of construction - e.g. large areas of glazing - can be difficult to achieve using elemental U-Values. In this case a SAP calc is the only way to show compliance.

Jeds,

Thats an interesting one that. I started a conservatory base, brickwork and party wall a few weeks ago. The customer changed his mind and decided he wanted a sun lounge (all glass structure but with a warm tiled roof)

He had previously applied for planning for the conny because we also built a single storey extension for him and plans for both were submitted at the same time.

It was a case of an amendment to the plans showing a tiled roof and a building notice to keep the BCO happy. Anyway, I asked the BCO if he had any advice on how to meet U-values because of the large glazed area. He said "so long as there will be a door into the new room that can be closed then the view of the council is that "we tend to be more lenient with the regs" :D

Now i thought that only applied too conservatories ? Then again Blackburn with Darwen council have announced a new pay structure that will bring womens wages in line with their male colleagues. This is achieved by re grading the male workforce and some of them taking pay cuts.

Maybe they just cant be arsed anymore because of this :D

Personally I think the BC system is a shambles at the moment. Problem is half the BCOs don't fully understand the regs, or the technology, and half the regs defy interpretation. I've even had some of the older guys (blokes I've got a lot of time for by the way) tell me they can't be arsed to get their heads around it because they are retiring in a couple of years.

So what you get is wildly varying application and on some days you can get away with almost anything.

Yeah i know what you mean.

The bco who has overseen the bungalow i am building at the moment is one of the old school.

I built the bungalow next door to this one back in 1994 and he was the guy who overseen that one also.

I was still wet behind the ears then and so was he. I have to say he is a very genuine helpful guy. He has said that he wont be there much longer because of the drop in his salary.

He was the one who made the comment about the sun lounge by the way :D

We had a BCO up in this neck of the woods who was into fishing in a big way. Anything contentious on site could could soon be deflected by asking what he'd caught that week :LOL:.

It's getting nigh on impossible for anyone from any particular field, including BCOs, to have any detailed knowledge of all the ins and outs of BRegs these days, they've become far too cumbersome for their own good. I have more than enough to do with learning all the impending Eurocodes, let alone keep up with anything else...

Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated.
Woody, I have treated the approach with the contempt it deserves.
I have had various trades people sending me offers of services. Most are from honest trades people.
One nutjob reckons she cleanse my house of any bad spirits using an holistic approach. I said I will just drink them instead.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back