Sashlock help required. pics attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a house where locks to the external rear french doors have been removed by the previous owner. Went and bought what I thought were the right sized sashlocks but seems I got it wrong. The recess in the door has been created on two levels and so leaving a gap when I fit the lock. What have I done wrong? Appreciate this is basic stuff and I know one answer is to call in a locksmith but any tips appreciated. Cheers, Brian.

View media item 11925View media item 11929View media item 11930

Sponsored Links
What a stingy g*t! (The previous owner)
You need a rebated sash lock.
There are also conversion kits for use with normal sash locks. I don't know how these work exactly.

Firstly it looks like you have purchased a 2.5" sashlock when you should have got a 3" one. You require a rebate set to go with it. The rest of the sizing looks ok. Change it for a 3" one and ask for a rebate set to suit.
If they dont do a rebate kit for that lock and the sizing is the same, ask for a Union 2242 3" rebated lock, as this will be cheaper than buying 2 seperate items. Remember also you will require 4 key operated bolts, 2 top & 2 bottom of the doors to comply with insurance requirements. this is a photo of the 2242 lock.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back