Sat and DVB meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work in a wholesalers part time, and we have had a few guys wanting to buy signal meters from us.
As its not part of our "normal" expertise area, we are unsure what to stock.
So, do any of the installers out there have a recommendations on makes/models/features to look at.
Ideally we want Basic, Ie finds a signal, but not what it is, something midrange, and an all singing, all dancing unit.

Also do combined Sat and DVB (and poss even DAB) exist?

Sponsored Links
There's nothing "mid range". You can get a basic satfinder meter that gives a signal indication for as little as a fiver. You can get a comprehensive meter that can indicate which satellite transmission it's receiving for a little over £200.

Combined units cost a lot more.

See http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page6.htm#prof

I have a Horizon terestrial meter which does for Freeview (SD & HD), analogue TV (RF out from Sky and anything else using a basic RF output), FM and DAB. Horizon HDTM Plus

I supply those small DVB T meters with DIY kits. They're okay for getting general direction, but of little use for much else. The Freeview receiver/tuner is a better guide although its not great either. The obvious limitation is that it needs two people to do an install without a proper meter, and there's no indication of signal overload.

Any Satellite work I do is generally minor alignments or upgrades to Sky dishes for Sky or Freesat use. A good compass and a basic satellite meter have been useful tools. If I start installing satellite systems then I'll look at getting a meter.

A word on compasses... £50 on a good satellite compass and inclinometer might be hard to swallow when mobile phone apps are free, but trust me, phones make crap satellite alignment tools. They aren't accurate for a start, and they go further out of whack next to a metal satellite dish and bracket... Doh! lol

Sponsored Links
If you're looking at budget (<£20) signal strengh meters for either DVB or satellite, I'd stock the ones with analog meters rather than LED readouts.

I've used both and the LED ones are a nightmare to use. I've ended up throwing away both a DVB and satellite meter away and replacing with a cheap analog one which is far better.

I have a horizon nano sat meter for satellite alignment this meter will identify the chosen satellite. It cost me £180 and I would say it was worth the money.

cheers for the info guys, will be looking at stocking the cheaper (analogue meter) ones, and will look further into the others (possibly a special order item).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back