Saunier Duval combi - shower luke warm but heating is fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hopefully someone can provide some help with this one.

I have a Saunier Duval Thema F23E combination boiler which was installed about 18 months ago. It is situated in the kitchen at the rear of my ground floor flat and positioned just above ground level.

Over the past few months the water in the shower has tended to get cooler and cooler to where it is at best luke warm (without adding any cold water). The heating works fine and also the hot water in the kitchen is scalding. I have turned the hot water knob up high on the boiler.

One thing I notice is that if I turn on the cold water tap in the basin in the bathroom (right beside the shower) this seems to drag through somehow hot water and give a "normal" hot shower. In fact in that instance I have to add cold water to be able to use the shower whereas without that it comes out luke warm with only the hot water on. The shower itself is what I would called a shub. Or a shower head connected to a hose over a bath that can divert the water from the bath taps.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
how about the hot water in the bathroom what is that like

Sorry for the delay, not at home so had to get someone around to the flat to check. The hot water in the basin beside the shower is "hot hot hot" according to my friend. :D

is the lever or knob that operates the shower scaled up I would take this off first and give it a clean up check its lifting or moving enough to open fully.

when you turn the cold tap on in the basin its reducing the cold water pressure and balancing the hot and cold supply to the shower.

so I would think your problem is within the shower valve.

is it a posh thermostatically controlled one if yes it could be the stat.

Sponsored Links
After trawling through the net the following link is what my setup is - called a pillar bath/shower mixer. I should have said I only get luke warm water in the bath when the diverter is set to send the water to the bath as well. There is no thermostat other than the one that looks after the central heating.

Do you think that I need to turn off the mains and take the complete assembly apart and clean it? If so any advice on products that do a good job and how to go about cleaning it out eg: leave it in a solution overnight?

here

Thanks in advance.

Erm HELP!!!! Anyone (Taydo) still willing to help out as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

is it luke warm with a good flow. If yes then without coming round and looking im lost.

if the flow is reduced then take the hot tap mechanism out clean change washer etc but I must admit I am a bit stumped. especially as you have hot water coming from the basin.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I wouldn't say that the flow is particularly bad but then when I use the basin cold tap it perks up a lot so perhaps I am just getting accustomed to having a poor flow rate.

I think I will give your suggestion a go and pull the taps apart and treat with scale remover. Any particular products that are better than others? Is it an idea to leave the taps soaking in the descaler overnight??

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back