Saw types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a power saw for general DIY / woodworking use, and am a little confused as to the different types of power saws available.

Firstly, what is the difference between a "Mitre Saw", a "Compound Mitre Saw" and a "Radial Arm Saw" ??

And what are the advantages of these over a table saw?

Thanks for advice on this :D

Sponsored Links
A mitre saw is one that can be adjusted to cut at angles of usually up to 45 degrees to the left or right

A compound mitre can do the same but in both the vertical and horizontal planes

A Radial arm saw is a bit like a circular saw mount on an arm overhead. Which saw you need depends on what you want to do with it, I would guess that a mitre or compund mitre would be probably most likely.

Table saw ?

Thanks for your reply Eddie, I understand that lot now.

With regard to the "table saw" question... I'm basically building a workbench and "workshop" etc in my garage, and was after one power saw that would be suitable for the most jobs. I didn't want to get a table saw, only to find out later that it's no good for doing xx type of work, and vice versa. Someone advised me that a table saw was the best "universal" saw to get.

What I'm basically asking is, if you only had ONE power saw in your workshop, what would be the best type to go for.

Hope I'm making sense here.

Thanks again.

Hmmm,

Difficult question to answer. A compound mitre saw is good for a lot of jobs, but then sometimes you need a handheld circular saw. Then again mitre saws aren't very good for ripping, for which a table saw is best.

Hard to say really, I suppose with a compound mitre and a circular saw, you should be able to tackle most jobs.

Sponsored Links
What about a circular saw and one of these

p2971708_x.jpg

It will do the compound angles then

from here http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=24972&ts=39241#

thediynovice said:
What I'm basically asking is, if you only had ONE power saw in your workshop, what would be the best type to go for.
A flip-over saw like the deWalt DW742 - these will serve as a compound mitre saw and as a table saw which makes them excellent for site work and at a push they're OK for kitchen fitting. B.... useless for cutting sheet stock, though.......

Scrit

I guess, if you had to pick one saw, you'd have to look at what job you needed doing best and picking the saw that works best for that task. That would mean compromising on the other jobs tho.

If it were me, I'd go with a good hand-held circ saw together with a decent straight edge guide. After a table saw, it's probably the best for ripping down lengths. Not as accurate for short cuts as a good compound mitre/chop saw tho but then a compound mitre/chop saw cant rip boards.

As has been said, it all comes down to what you mostly need it for. If your working with big sheets mostly; hand held circular saw. Lots of little, accurate cuts; compound mitre/chop saw.

Failing that: a chainsaw does lend a certain 'rustic charm' to things!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back