Scaffold on a Roof Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Is it relatively easy/normal to erect scaffolding on a sloping roof in order to access a higher one?

Context:
Gable end of a house, with a single story hipped roof extension extending approx 1 half down the side. So half of the scaffold could be on ground level down the side of the property and the other half on the sloping roof?

Sponsored Links
No, scaffold should not be on the roof, tiles/slate will not take the weight. However scaffold can be erected to overcome this problem with ease.

Ok so I assume they can just span the ground floor extension from above without going down the side? The side is not accessible. How much more difficult does this make things?

Ok so I assume they can just span the ground floor extension from above without going down the side? The side is not accessible. How much more difficult does this make things?

Access, or lack of can make a huge difference. Have you any photos?

Sponsored Links
Hehe, I was hoping to avoid too much detail.

Ok the full context...

The extension in question is my neighbours. They had a new loft conversion and side return extension build last year. The side return is up to the boundary and cuts of their own access to their garden down the side. They need to access the main roof as issues have cropped up with their new loft conversion. So they may need to erect scaffold again to access it, but the side return is now in the way. I did let them put scaffold on my side to build the side return last year but have just got every thing looking nice in the area they put the scaffold on and they may want to re-erect it there again.

I was just hoping they could put the scaffold up without putting it on my side again.

I just do not want my side becoming the defacto maintenance access if they have further roof issues.

Without being unkind to them, they were aware of the downside of building to the boundary and also of cutting off the access to their own rear garden...

So how much harder would it be for them put scaffolding up down the side of the house above a side return extension?

I do not think I am being unfair....

Tbh I can't answer that, I am not a scaffolder but have a lot of experience in hiring them. I have had many, many issues with access that has been overcome but, not without substantial, additional costs.

I suggest you ask the neighbour to invite a scaffold company to look at the needs and quote with you there to discuss your concerns and any possible issues.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back