Scaffolding experts please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to add some extra storage space to my garage just beneath the ceiling. I thought to fix some scaffold tubes between the walls to store long bits of timber on, however most of the fittings for attaching tube to the wall seem to be ties, rather than load bearing brackets.

Can anyone recommend a fitting that will do what I want? I'd estimate the total load will be not more than about 300 Kg (excluding the tube), spread between four fixings (two tubes). Maybe add another tube if I get carried away.

What I'm looking for I guess is the load-bearing equivalent of this:
http://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/details/154.html

If I can't find what I want off the shelf, I plan to get a local engineering firm to fillet-weld me some 40mm OD tube (4mm thickness or more) onto 8mm plate 200x200 with M12 holes at 150mm centres. Then just locate the scaffold tubes onto the 44mm tube and bolt it all into place. Maybe I'll go the other way and create a collar for the 48.3mm tube instead, just depends on what size tube they happen to have.

The other question, is if the bending of the tube under load is going to disturb the walls, and if I need to leave some allowance for that (i.e. let the tube slide away from the fitting a bit). It's not a double-garage, but it is on the large side, certainly a bit wider than the normal width of a scaffold bay.
thanks for any advice,
S.

Sponsored Links
If you want to design and make your own then fair play to you, but if you just want shelves it's a lot more efficient to buy some tested shelves with a weight rating and then fix them to the wall.

I dont see what's wrong with the bracket in your link. I'd be happy to swing off a couple of those. As long as they're in opposed pairs so. That the fixings are in shear.

Last edited:
those brackets are key clamp originally intended to make milking parlours for farmers. They are designed for a cow to bump into.

So long as they are screwed in properly, they will hold a lot!

Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts for storing timber
a support 2ft from the back wall next support at 6ft then another at 8-10ft dependant on length as you need support near the end off timber
dont have support too close to the front wall unless you can drop the timber back a bit to drop the front down to go through the door opening
remember if the front off the timber overhangs say 40" and has to drop say 6" inches to exit the door opening if the overhang at the back is 80" the back will rise 12" plus the timber thickness above the support
will add my set up when i can get on photobucket
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html?sort=3&o=15

Last edited:
Have a look at the simpson strong tie catalogue they do masonry
hangers for 2" timber, that would be one solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back