Scaffolding, tower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have to paint a some stucco that is over an addon conservatory (the yellow bit), the roof to the conservatory is weak and there is no strength to it, consequently it will not hold my delicately proportioned 20 stone weight.

What would be the best way to do this: Tower with walk board? Scaffold?

Where is the best place to hire (mansfield area)

mt2sk7.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Remove the panel from the conservatory roof (i.e. the panel next to the wall), and put a ladder up inside the conservatory. That's what we do in a near-identical situation.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a Youngman staging ladder and staging board - available from lots of hire centres. They come in various heights and lengths, are lightweight and should span that roof quite easily, unless it's a longer span than it seems. May be a bit bouncy with 20st on it but should be strong enough.

Thanks for all the suggestions, will be going to a hire shop today for quotes.

The customer will not let me remove any panels as they have previously had leaks and they recently had it sorted and now have no leaks so they want to let sleeping dogs lie.

Its the window reveal that's the problem, they had new UPVC mahogany coloured windows in approx a year ago and the window fitters repaired the render but never caulked the side edges, they did silicone the top which makes the painting of that part messy. On the other windows, I've frog taped them and wiped the Sandtex off the silicone to try and make a neater job.

As part of the preventing leaks that I alluded to earlier, they have run grey silicone between the stucco wall and the lead flashing, this has been done poorly so again I have to frog tape it to get a neat edge.

The face of the wall can get painted with roller poles etc but there is a fascia above the wall that needs painting a mid grey.

If only people would think about access and maintenance costs prior to building these house sheds. If they priced up the hire of scaffolding to do this job I think they would consider adding access.

I tried placing some thick lats and then some 1/2 inch ply over the roof but the roof is built so weakly the added weight and me on top made it way too unsafe.

The owners now see they have made a big mistake in cutting costs on the roof and I told them to expect about £150 - £200 scaffold bill for a 2 day hire.

I agree with your comments regarding the owners lack of forward thinking, I have completed many jobs where the cost of the scaffolding cost more than the original job required, and the scaffolding was only used for a mornings work.
But if thats what the customer wants !

Hi all, just a bit of feedback. Eventually hired from Jewsons, had to rig the stabilisers for the scaffold up unconventionally by using them as dampeners for forward(towards the conservatory) movement. this was required as the walkboard was 4.8m pretty heavy and if we didn't have those in place the tower would have been pushed forward on to the conservatory.

View media item 79829 View media item 79830 View media item 79831
I'll add a finished image of the job to the album in a bit

Hi all, just a bit of feedback. Eventually hired from Jewsons, had to rig the stabilisers for the scaffold up unconventionally by using them as dampeners for forward(towards the conservatory) movement. this was required as the walkboard was 4.8m pretty heavy and if we didn't have those in place the tower would have been pushed forward on to the conservatory.

View media item 79829 View media item 79830 View media item 79831
I'll add a finished image of the job to the album in a bit

Looks alright, I would have drilled a couple of plugs and hooks into the wall and tied off the tower to stop it from toppling over . Cant be too careful .

The ladder pitched on the walkboard is decidely dodgey, the ladder and walkboard should be tied off to the wall to stop it from slipping. !!!

There is nothing to stop the Walkboard from slipping, so the ladder would fall.

As you are doing the job for some one else under H&S they can be liable if there is a serious accident, that they allowed some one to carry out works on their property without correct H&S procedures in place.

Hi, the walkboard has two large G-Clamps holding it to the frame underneath so no chance of slipping, but you are right the walkboard should be locked down. The ladders weren't Ideal but had wide feet for stability and I only had to go up 2-3 rungs to paint the fascia board which was a 15 min job. The painting of the wall etc was standing on the walkboard.

We had stablisers on the opposite side to the poles on the conservatory so it was rock solid, even used a spirit level to get it bang level.

While on the point of H&S, the suppliers said there were instructions for construction of the tower. I expected a leaflet from the delivery man, what they meant was, there were instructions stuck to the tower as a sticky plastic label that was damaged and almost unreadable, so I wasn't impressed with that. Anyone who had never put a tower up before would have been scratching their heads.

There is no featured way to fasten that board to the floor or frame that is supplied with the tower but as a H&S issue there should be. As an extra measure we also braced the board with wood to the right side. The mere fact I had to do this shows a flawed system in any tower supplied and should really be addressed.

I took the picture after I had finished using the small ladder and had removed the wood support but still had the g-clamps in place.

Drilling the wall was not an option.

The render is done and should last for many years to come, the paintwork i.e. fascia, and sills will likely have to be painted in the next 3-4 years, maybe even sooner as the back is south facing and gets a lot of sun and even with 3 undercoats and a gloss topper I can't see it lasting more than 3 years before it needs repainting but I will be checking it annually before it starts to crack up.

View media item 79906 View media item 79905

You'd think someone would invent a lightweight platform which could be secured through a window frame to the room wall inside (with the window open) and hung out of the window for houses with badly designed conservatories. Like those clamp-on chairs for toddlers which hung over and under dining tables and the weight of the child acted as the anchor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back