Scantronic 500r - Weird Alarm Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently reset my Scantronic alarm and have renewed the battery as this was several years old. Having relearned the sensors, the alarm sets correctly but when the sensor is triggered, the outer alarm box and strobe aren't activated and instead the internal alarm makes a weird squarking noise. When the alarm is reset, both the speaker within the control box and the internal alarm speaker within the airing cupboard make like a ticking noise or similar to a dripping tap.

Has anyone had any similar issues or can suggest what I need to do please ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Sparkymarka, the bell box is probably about 20+ years old. I won't be able to post a picture until later in the week but are you suggesting that the connections within the box have possibly corroded ? If so, is it just a case of cleaning them up, reattaching and then hoping for the best ? If this doesn't fix it then I presume a new bell box will be required ? Thanks again for your continued help.

Remove the bell + and 0v at the control panel , then link the empty 0v to tamper return , now set the system and see if you get the ticking noise

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-2-11_0-14-34.jpeg

Hi Sparkymarka, thanks for the prompt reply. So I remove the blue Bell and black 0V cables but how do I link the empty 0V to the Tamper Return TR ? Do I just use a small piece of wire from the 0V to the TR and then try and reset the system ? If this does stop the ticking noise then do I then remove the link from 0V to TR and re-insert the Bell and 0V cables ? Also, do I do this all whilst its just being powered by the battery rather than mains ? Apologies if these are silly questions but this is all new to me. Thanks again and I appreciate your help.

Remove the red/white (12+) the black 0v , link 0v to TR with a piece of wire , test and see if it cures the issue

Hi Sparkymarka, I've followed your instructions and removed the red/white and black wires and then linked 0v to TR with a piece of wire and whilst the ticking does initially stop, once you reconnect the mains then it starts again. I've also noticed that when in program mode the system doesn't trigger either the siren or strobe when you test it, although you are able to program other parts of the alarm. Therefore, despite the ticking, when you arm the alarm and trigger it via movement, only the internal alarm speakers go off and its these that screech.

I realise that the alarm is now very old and spares are rarely available and so if I am unable to fix the system, I presume I'm better off scrapping it and installing a replacement. If so, have you any recommendations for a reliable and reasonably priced system that I could install myself ?

Many thanks again for all of your help.

Pyronix enforcer if your going down the wireless route ....would suggest you wire the bell as there is a cable available you can use the wireless bell in the kit and supply 12v via the cable from the panel

Hi Sparkymarka, just had a closer look at the control panel and it looks like the fuse for the siren may have blown. This would explain why the external siren isn't triggered but could this also explain the ticking and why the strobe isn't flashing outside ? Going to order a new fuse but would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Worth a try ....shouldn’t be the cause of the ticking unless that’s when the speaker should have been sounding

Hi Sparkymarka, replaced the fuse today and the ticking has stopped and when triggered the internal alarm now goes off as it should. However, the issue now is that the external bell box and strobe still don't trigger. The fuse I used was 500ma but it was a slow blow fuse. Would this make a difference and should I have used a quick blow fuse ? You originally mentioned that the connections in the bell box may have become corroded but this was when I asked about the ticking. Although the strobe and bell box don't trigger, the red light still flashes on the box to show that it is active and so would this still happen if the connections were corroded ?

Again, many thanks for all of your help.

I would take out the blue ( bell) wire in the panel and touch it on the black ( 0v ) the bell should ring ....then repeat for strobe yellow wire ...

Hi, I took the blue wire out and touched the black 0v and sure enough the external bell started to ring. However, when I did the same with the yellow wire and touched the black 0v nothing happened and the strobe didn't come on. I'm sure there isn't that much wrong with the alarm, despite its age, and so have you any other ideas ?

Thanks.

You may have to leave the strobe in the 0v for 30s or so to charge the strobe up ...how did you activate the alarm was it via an entry zone as there may be a 30s delay on entry alarm activation ( internal may ring before external bell )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back