Science Homework

S

Shutpa

HELP
In a HEP station, water stored in a loch is allowed to run down a pipe and through a turbine attached to a generator. What kind of energy does the water in the loch have?

Not all the energy in the water is converted to electrical energy. What happens to the rest of it?

Sponsored Links
I would say it's kinetic energy and some of it will be converted to heat.
That should get at least six out of ten. :LOL:

I would say potential/stored energy.
Hell knows what the lost is.

Sponsored Links
The water has potential energy when it's stored in the reservoir, when it's moving it's kinetic. That's got to get me up to seven out of ten now.

Potential energy when it's in the loch.

Kinetic energy as it's moving through the pipe. Losses due to friction with the pipe walls and to turbulence resulting in some of the kinetic energy being converted to heat and sound energy.

More energy lost to heat and sound in the turbine room as the kinetic energy of the water is converted into rotational kinetic energy of the turbine/shaft/possible gearbox/generator.

Yet more loss to heat and sound in the generator as the rotational kinetic energy of the plant is converted to electrical energy.

Some of the electrical energy will then have to be used to keep the stator coils in the generator energised, to run the various control systems, and to heat and light the power station.

Then there'll be more losses in the switchgear, transformer gear and transmission lines - all resulting in the production of more waste heat.

Wasted energy?if all the water in the loch has the same kinetic energy and passes through the pipe to the turbine and all is not used its wasted energy, if it remains in the loch its stored energy.

While running through the pipe as kinetic energy it could also be used as hydraulic energy to pressurise different valve actuators.

Would the loch not be stored energy or even reusable energy, depending on how the system works.
In some hypropower plants where the water stored is used to power turbines, the water is then stored again at a lower level and pumped back up, during non-peak hours.

it's potential in the loch, and there are losses due to friction and noise in the pipes and generating equipment and heat losses in the transmission equipment.

Thanks for the replies guys, 10/10 is now guaranteed. His was definitely the best and most informed answer! :LOL:

Normally I'd be able to answer that, but after a sleepless night, due to facing English and Maths tests, I was worried...

So lets run these Government led 'workhouse' questions by (or is it buy?) you?

If two cinema tickets cost £4 each, and you pay with £10 note, how much change do you get? (and it was multichoice!)

What's 7+3 ?

What's 10-3 ? (Honest!)

Sally lives beside the seeside (circle the incorrect spelling)

Live by the sword die bye the sword (again)

There were then several variations on the spelling of 'by', counteracted by the previous question, giving the answer, but some of the questions were Freud, which is more expensive, a fish, a house, a cloud, a TV...now then..I'm getting warmed up! (not the actual answers apart from 2 of the real ones, as I was considering murdering myself via the water cooler at the time(!) That just to adjust anyones senses DIDN'T have a big jug of water stacked on top of it(!)

This is what the Government 'quangos', are spending tax on.

Sponsored Links
Back