Scrap Part P?

Sponsored Links
As always every single contributor is ignorant of the very thing they think they object to.

Had any one of them actually read the single sentence that is the legal requirement of Part P, they would realise that they are barking up the wrong tree.

But, hey, thank goodness for ignorance - it's because of ignorance that I have a job! :D

You'd better hope that Part p stays.

If it is scrapped then it will be replaced by something far more draconian.

Do you think it will revert back to a mate of a bloke down the pub who knows a bit about lektriks being let loose on wiring?

Those that served time years ago and and now gripe about spending a few quid on test gear and sitting little exams to update and having PL and filling certs will really have something to moan about should tighter regulation be brought in.

Be very very carefull what you wish for

Sponsored Links
You do have to wonder why the IEE have to re-issue regs every few years (I think we all know the truth).

Is the re-issue a statement that 16th,15th,14th or even 10th was/is UNSAFE? No.

I like what I read in the 17th edition, its all pretty much common sense from a regs point of view, which is important.

What I dont like is the part P requirement and definitions for "competent". If I want to install the electrics in my house, get the supplier to disconnect the supply so I can work on the CU, who are they to tell me that I cant?

Jobsworth regs in the main. The requirement for H+S regulation will always nail someone who is incompetent and causes injury, there is always litigation. Why we need further blocks to individuals fitting a new spur or ceiling rose is beyond me. Certainly at the rates leccys charge these days.

Anyone can twist two wires together and make electrics work, it's simple.

To do it safely though is another matter.

Electricians should charge for their work, the charges are for doing it properly not just twisting wires together.

For the past ten years I have driven around in a death trap car.
The fact that it's not killed anybody yet does not mean that it is not a death trap

Strikes me as very odd that relatively few moan about what plumbing/heating bods charge , which for some unfathomable reason is a lot more than lektriciansand at the same time tradesmen who have both disciplines will tell you that electrics is the most difficult competant wise

What I dont like is the part P requirement and definitions for "competent". If I want to install the electrics in my house, get the supplier to disconnect the supply so I can work on the CU, who are they to tell me that I cant?

And here's we go again...

Have you actually read and understood Approved Document P?

It certainly doesn't seem so.

But, yes, you are quite right. I am sure you are entirely competent to carry out all the works you wish.
While you're at it, you may as well get rid of all the other pointless parts of the Building Regulations - surely any fool can knock up a house in whatever manner they wish without any problems at all?
How hard can it be, eh?

Every day I meet a room full of people who honestly think they know what they are doing...

...one day I hope to meet somebody who actually does know what they are doing.

I really want to come to one of your classes.

Do you do the I&T course?

And here's we go again...

Have you actually read and understood Approved Document P?

It certainly doesn't seem so.

But, yes, you are quite right. I am sure you are entirely competent to carry out all the works you wish.
While you're at it, you may as well get rid of all the other pointless parts of the Building Regulations - surely any fool can knock up a house in whatever manner they wish without any problems at all?
How hard can it be, eh?

Every day I meet a room full of people who honestly think they know what they are doing...

...one day I hope to meet somebody who actually does know what they are doing.

Ever wonder how people coped before part P?

I know exactly what used to happen pre Part P, and I've had to make huge quantities of that work safe.

I know is still goes on all over the place, but I also know alot of local electricians in my area, especially the old boys who now routinely test all their work, where as before the tester was used purely for fault finding.

Are you seriously trying to tell us that that's a bad thing?

No need to. I know.

Why not ask all the electricians who desperately wanted legislation, but then complained that they didn't think that it should include them?

For you as a DIYer, electrical work is exactly the same as if you wanted to erect an extension, convert the loft, put in a new W.C. install a gas boiler, etc. I'm sure you already possess all the knowledge you need to carry out whatever building work you want, in which case, the Building Regulations absolutely allow you to do so.

But who checks that you do know what you're doing?

No need to. I know.

Why not ask all the electricians who desperately wanted legislation, but then complained that they didn't think that it should include them?

For you as a DIYer, electrical work is exactly the same as if you wanted to erect an extension, convert the loft, put in a new W.C. install a gas boiler, etc. I'm sure you already possess all the knowledge you need to carry out whatever building work you want, in which case, the Building Regulations absolutely allow you to do so.

So, if I carry out an installation with full adherence to 17th edition regs, as a DIYer, why do I need to pay someone for a piece of paper to say the work has been completed correctly?WhyshouldI have to pay a building control fee every time I want to install a new socket in my home? Nonsense is why.

Did you even read dingbats post that you quoted?

Who checks that the certified individual carries out each installation? How deep down this particular rabbit hole do you want to go?

What is to say someone is certified as "competent" actually carries out work that is within the regs once away from the tester?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back