Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We elect a government to govern. We don't elect the Lords so why are they sticking their oar in?

Get rid of them and let governments govern.

Let's make it a poll.

Sponsored Links
its the only way to keep parliament in check without them parliament can do anything it wants

Unfortunately this government are making some cockups just like the last one. Having somebody taking another look at what the politicians are trying to put through is no bad thing. If they do find something wrong then better to get it straightened out before its passed because as history tells us its impossible to get it changed to something sensible.'t

It doesn't matter to me if they are elected or not I just want to know they are capable of doing a proper job and with this government I think they're ok.

I look at it like this... When I hit the delete button I like it when it asks me again do I want to delete this. So, I get a second chance to decide. This is how are government works.

Some of the peers turn out to be criminals. Bit sad but cannot be helped.

P.S. I voted no

if i voted no and you voted no then the poll is faulty or one off us has made a mistake :D

Sponsored Links
The house of Lords is part of the British constitution, someone has to oversee what the elected government is up to, and keep them in check if necessary,
there are rogues in the house of lords just as in the other place, anyone who has broken the law should be thrown out, be it from either place.

Wotan

if i voted no and you voted no then the poll is faulty or one off us has made a mistake :D

That's what I thought but I also thought it was a delay in the system totting up. But if we bear this in mind on the count up we can put the record straight and do what is necessary in the interests of democracy. :D

Both houses should be abollished, and the country should have a supreme leader, who is not elected, but appointed directly by God.

Both houses should be abollished, and the country should have a supreme leader, who is not elected, but appointed directly by God.
I didn't know that Ozzy Osbourne was in to politics, but if thats what floats his boat, then so be it :D

Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think your offyourtrolleymister2000 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

IIRC the lords can only oppose a law or change to legislation for 4-5 years or (or one political term).

This stops (in theory) any stupid laws or regulation being passed through without care and attention (or for political stunts), after all if you try to push something through and just give up, it couldn't have been a worthy addition to the books.

But the public are in overwhelming favour of benefit cuts. If that's what the people want - then the Lords should butt out and let the people decide. If public opinion was overwhelmingly against - then there might be an argument for overruling it. But they aren't. We really don't need them to water down legislation. The UK is in dire straights and needs fast and firm action - messing around with the Lords is only an impediment.

Since our laws are made by the EU, we have no need for a government at all

Sponsored Links
Back