Screaming + Banging Monoblock Kitchen Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently refitted our kitchen, which included changing our old kitchen mixer tap - with a nice new Bristan 1901 Monoblock Mixer, which matches our bathroom taps.

The problem I have is that running the hot water makes the new tap screech / scream after around 15 - 30 seconds. Adjusting the flow by opening / closing the tap can sometimes fix this - or sometimes the screeching turns into a loud hammering and banging effect with the tap vibrating wildly. When it gets to this stage turning the tap on or off results in the continued banging until the flow seems to clear.

We didn't have a problem with the previous tap (which I stupidly threw away), and the only 3 taps we have (bathroom basin sink / bath / kitchen sink) all run off the same feed from our Baxi 105e Combi.

I have tried swapping the hot and cold tap inserts themselves - thinking that perhaps one had a faulty washer, but this didn't make a difference. I have also tried swapping the hot and cold feed flex connectors (so we now have a cold / hot tap), as I noticed that the chamber for the hot water in the cast base of the tap seemed more restricted than the cold chamber. This seemed to work for about a day then the problem started again.

The strange thing is that if I turn the boiler off and run the hot water tap (so running cold water through the boiler without it firing) it all seems OK. It's almost like the fault only occurs when the water / pipework / tap gets to a certain temperature or pressure.

I have also noticed that the tap before this on the run does make a bit of a noise (so obviously a similar much smaller problem) - but nothing like the kitchen one.

I have also tried bleeding any air out of the system (by turning of the main stopcock, opening all the taps and turning them off in order - with the mains opened slightly) but both kitchen and bathroom are on the ground floor, and some of the pipework runs through the ceiling - so lots of potential for air pockets, with no real way to access them

Having searched online I did wonder if the problem might be water hammer - but as mentioned the noise only begins to happen after a few seconds, and when the water / tap gets hot.

Any ideas - don't really want to have to buy another new tap unless I have to.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back