Banging when tap operated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have replaced the Hot & Cold taps for my sink in a second bathroom & i have a problem with the Hot tap.
After installing the taps i have not had any problems untill say 2 months down the road.
When i turn on the Hot tap the pipe starts to bang like a machine gun & then the noise stops and the water runs fine,i thought it might be air so i let the tap run for a while.
The noise does not happen all the time when the tap is used which is odd.
I have also noticed sometimes after using the Hot tap that after turning it off say 10 minutes later i can hear water running,i return to the bathroom to find the Hot tap running as if i did not turn it off.
The Cold tap works perfect,never a noise & never running after turning it off.
Please can anyone advise as to what my next step would be in fixing this odd issue,thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
So loose pipework would explain the machine gun sound ?

Quarter turn taps,can you explain why the taps fitted are unsuitable please or why the water runs after being installed for 2 months without an issue.

Thanks

So loose pipework would explain the machine gun sound ?

Quarter turn taps,can you explain why the taps fitted are unsuitable please or why the water runs after being installed for 2 months without an issue.

The machine gun sound is called water hammer, has anyone done any work on the system in the last 2 months or the water pressure has been increased from your water supplier.

I bet it doesn't happen if you turn the tap off very slowly.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Had a radiator installed in the same room 1 month ago but did not touch these water pipes.
The water pressure i would not know about but should i turn it down a touch at the stop tap inside the house ??

Can you advise why the taps runs after its been turned off.

Edit.
All the other taps in the house work fine its just this room.
I have looked at the pipework and where it goes 90 degrees around the back of the toilet it could do with a fixing on some kind so that would sort out the water hammer.

Maybe your plumber turned the mains off to drain down or even adjust you stopcock.

Maybe he lifted floor boards and move/remove some pipe work to fit the new pipe work.

You might need a new catridge in the tap to stop it from running, or it could have debris stuck in the cartridge. What sometimes works is to open and close the tap very quickly for about 15-20 seconds.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back