Screed is this right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently cast some concrete and finished the top off with about 30mm of sharp sand screed. The concrete was mixed 4.2.1 and the sand screed was 4.1. the issue is that I'm not sure that is hardening correctly. Its been laid for a week now and gives of sand when rubbed.hard I've added a couple of pics to show the amount that comes off with about 5 hard scrapes with the edge of the float. Is this right or should it be much harder. First pick shows how much I can hack it out with a few hard blows with the corner of the float

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_192646_713.jpg
    IMG_20240416_192646_713.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240416_192718_673.jpg
    IMG_20240416_192718_673.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
The screed will take about a month to set based on the 1mm per day rule so won’t be that hard yet. 30mm sounds pretty thin for S&C, was it bonded to the slab?

The screed will take about a month to set based on the 1mm per day rule so won’t be that hard yet. 30mm sounds pretty thin for S&C, was it bonded to the slab?
Ok so I laid it all at the same time with the screed going straight onto the concrete. So would you expect to be able to rub sand off it. Also if a wet it and rub I get a sandy/cement slurry as though it's not fully set but expected it to not do this after seven days.

Yes screed surfaces are soft.

You can get a liquid to brush on the surface to harden it. Search for " Floor Dustproofer/hardener "

Sponsored Links
Yes screed surfaces are soft.

You can get a liquid to brush on the surface to harden it. Search for " Floor Dustproofer/hardener "
I thought that sharp sand screed would result in a harder surface than soft sand is this not the case

Not unless you tamp and trowel it smooth like you might with concrete.

Not unless you tamp and trowel it smooth like you might with concrete.
Ok so pressume this is because tamping brings more cement up. Soi plan to tile this so will I need to chop out the top layer and re screed with tamping and trowelling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back